Test kit questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irdajoh

Aquarium Advice Activist
A little back story first, I have a 20 gal tank with one molly left, had more but stress and poor water caused deaths. I most likely overstocked for a new tank and didn't wait long enough for the tank to cycle and develop the good bacteria.

Since its a new tank the water quality always has been iffy and caused alot of stress. Ick broke out about 2-3 times, I salted the tank heavily and preformed numerous water changes.

I use to use deerpark spring water but thats expensive so i must use tap. Like any tap water there's going to be heavy metals. I used api stress coat +, api quick start(3-5 times) hut stopped and terta easy balence but stopped, and api conditioner.

Now my black molly is showing obvious signs of a swim bladder problem, stringy white feces so he for sure not happy right now.

I have the API master test kit and I've done numerous amounts of test to ensure water quality. But with the API test kit the results are always bad. But when I goto petsmart and get the test done there with strips and they tell me the water is fine.. So I have no idea what to believe and how I can go about helping my fish. Are strips more accurate then tube testing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately the strips are less accurate than the liquid tests.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah geez, so I've been lied to and because so my fish are dying...

Some other things...
Some of the points you mention are aggrevated by stress and water quality, but not caused by those things. Ick is a parasite, and while stressed fish have less resistance to it, it still comes from somewhere. Stringy white poop is also a parasite symptom, I believe.

Next time you need to treat ick, rather try the heat method. That works well (although, now that I think about it, not if you are also battling water quality issues. )

It does sound as if the cycle is not quite complete :-( sorry to say. The nitrite phase does take the longest.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well white stringy feces can be a sign for stress in general but I can't rule out anything

Back
Top Bottom