Test Kits and Water Parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have searched for test kit recommendations but apparently the word kit is too small to search for so I come up with all posts with "test" in it -oodles and oodles of them.

I'd like to know what should be tested in a planted tank and what are recommend test kits?

I just tested mine with a combination of test kids (aquarium pharmaceuticals and test strips) My results:

Ammonia 0.0
Nitrites 0.0
Nitrates 40ppm
KH- 300ppm
GH-25ppm
PH -7.9-8.0

I have yet to add CO2 but don't have high lights on the tank yet (I'm working on the hood this weekend to add 100 w MH to 30G)

I don't have much in the way of plants yet -java fern, banana plants, cryps, and some vals.

I imagine once I add CO2, the PH will come down and then my water parameters will be pretty ideal won't they?

Carolyn

Those nitrates are a bit high. And you should be testing for phosphates also.

Rex;

I'm aware I need a phosphate test but what do you recommend for a test kit for phosphates between the ones I have I don't have one. :cry:

I'll do a partial water change for the nitrates.

Carolyn

PS I'm disappointed about your site-I wouldn't let a few thorns bring you down. :evil:

For a phosphate test kit try a Red Sea or a Seachem. They both work well. Or if you have the $$ a LaMotte.

The site is back up.

I'd got with SeaChem. RedSea kits aren't that spectacular or accurate. Speaking of accuracy, ditch the test strips, they tend to be the least accurate test kits of all.

Back
Top Bottom