Test Result Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I did pwc in my two 55 gallon tanks and used Prime for the first time. I also switched back to using filter cartridges in the AquaTech HOB filters. Today I tested the tanks and the Nitrate is between 40 ppm and 80 ppm. Its usually 40 ppm. I use the API Master test kit. Can Prime change test results? All other test results are normal. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sorry, but what do you mean you switched back to filter cartridges? Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Sorry, but what do you mean you switched back to filter cartridges? Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

I was using floss and ceramic rings. A while back my tanks were very cloudy with a brownish color. I had added dw and it was suggested here that I try using carbon filters to remove the brownish color. I did in 1 of the tanks and it did clear. So yesterday I removed the floss and rings in the second tank and put in the carbon filter cartridges which are made for the AquaTech filters I have. Yes I have tested my tap water and its fine.

Get the nitrate under 20 now by doing two large partial water changes and try to keep them under 20at all times. How often do you do a pwc it should be at least once a week. What kind of filter and stocking do you have.

Get the nitrate under 20 now by doing two large partial water changes and try to keep them under 20at all times. How often do you do a pwc it should be at least once a week. What kind of filter and stocking do you have.

I do pwc about once a week. I usually remove about half the water. I have never been able to get the nitrates below 40. I have AquaTech 60 HOB filters from Walmart on the 55 gal. tank and a AquaTech 30 on the 29 gal. In the 55 gal. tanks I have 2 blue gourami, 2 opaline gourami, 3 danios, 2 turquoise rainbows, 2 gold angels, 3 cory cats and a bn pleco. In the other 55 gal. there is 4 angels, 4 rosy barbs, 2 gold gourami, 2 cory cats and a bn. In the 29 gal. I have 3 juvie bn, 4 black skirts, 3 small angels, 4 blood fins, 2 boesemai rainbows, 2 cory cats and 3 otos. The danios are new adds

Takr your test tube outside in better light! I have trouble reading my Nitrate color chart....it looks red inside the house , but it is clearly orange in the outside light!

Takr your test tube outside in better light! I have trouble reading my Nitrate color chart....it looks red inside the house , but it is clearly orange in the outside light!

I'll do that after it stops snowing and the sun comes out. Thanks

IF you have City Water your tap water cannot be 20 - 40ppm. The maximum contaminant level MCL by law is 10ppm measured as nitrogen. It should actually be less than 5ppm. Check you City water supplier. They must isue test results on a yearly basis and submit a report with results.

I have 2 aqua-tech 30-60 on my one 55gal and they do fine. I think maybe when you replaced your ceramic rings and floss with filter cartridges you may have removed most of your BB. If so you'll have a mini cycle in the near future.

Cichlid Kid said:
I have 2 aqua-tech 30-60 on my one 55gal and they do fine. I think maybe when you replaced your ceramic rings and floss with filter cartridges you may have removed most of your BB. If so you'll have a mini cycle in the near future.

I was thinking the same thing.

It could be that the tank is cycling. Also, I would check the dates on your test kit. If it is outdated you can get bad readings. Just trying to eliminate all possibilities.

If you're on a well I could very well believe the test. I have about the same levels in my well water. The only solution is to get good enough plant growth to eat up those nitrates.

IF you have City Water your tap water cannot be 20 - 40ppm. The maximum contaminant level MCL by law is 10ppm measured as nitrogen. It should actually be less than 5ppm. Check you City water supplier. They must isue test results on a yearly basis and submit a report with results.

It is not city water. We live in the Nevada high desert and are on a community well head. Occasionally we get a notice to boil our drinking and cooking water because a pipe broke and its contaminated. Two years ago there was an issue with arsenic levels being a little to high.

If you're on a well I could very well believe the test. I have about the same levels in my well water. The only solution is to get good enough plant growth to eat up those nitrates.

I have live plants and want to get more. I really like wisteria and it grows fast. Any suggestions as to what plants would work best? To many of the plants sold in my lfs aren't really aquatic. Two of my tanks are gravel and one is sand. Suggestions would be appreciated.
:thanks:

I'm not sure which are the best for absorbing nitrates. Wish I did. But there are a lot of aquatic plants on eBay. Do a search in the pet supplies area.

Back
Top Bottom