Test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I got kind of bored so I decided to break out the test kits and test the levels in my 55 gal tank. I couldn't find the Phosphate kit, so that's the only test that I don't have. I am a little alarmed at the results in regards to pH and hardness. Especially considering the stock of the tank. What do you guys think?

GH 358
KH 268.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH 8.2
CO2 2
Fe 0

You have nothing to worry about IMO. Plants have been known to thrive in liquiefied rock. Have you ever seen the weeds that grow through the cracks in the sidewalks in NYC?. :)

The CO2 reading...is that in ppm?

Sorry, was editing the results as you were responding. :D I was trying to make the format easier to read, but no luck.

Yes, the CO2 is in ppmm. It took 1 drop to reach the end point in the Red Sea kit. The instructions say to multiply by 2 to get the results.

What REALLY shocks me is that I am keeping Rams. They are supposed to NOT like hard water and a high pH. But they are coloring up VERY nicely and I have noticed the pink belly on all but 2 of them (assuming male?)

This of course does not help to try and discourage the Africans from breeding. No wonder the hap just released another 34 fry.

I'm actually surprised there's no fe in that water, sounds like there should be a lot. LOL! If everyone is happy, no issue. When you see an obvious defiencies occurring, then modifications may be necessary.

I worked out your calculated Co2 (Kh 15d 8.2PH ) and get 2.84PPM Co2, so that test is as close as it could be. (I never bothered picking on up since you can calculate it)

how do you calculate the CO2 levels? If it saves me some money on water tests i'm all for it!

I integrated the calculations in a program I wrote to log all my test results and graph them (to show improvement or decline) in readings.

The formula is

3 * (Kh in Deg) * (10 ^ (7 - Ph)))

So
3 * 15 * (10^(7-8.2))
= 3*15*10^-1.2
= 3 * 15 * 0.063
= 2.83PPM Co2

Or you can use a chart :D

Converting KH in PPM to Deg is

Kh (in ppm) / 17.9 = KH (in deg)
or
Kh (in deg) * 17.9 = KH (in ppm)