Test tube zebra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomK2

Aquarium Advice Addict
I dipped my test tube into the tank tonight and an overzealous zebra danio swam right into it. It barely fit in the tube, and started to go nuts trying to wiggle its way out. I would have loved to snap a picture of this but the poor thing was really freaking out and looked like it would hurt itself. Guess it figured I was dropping food in and wanted first dibs!

My zebras definately pay close attention to whats going on when I use a test tube in the tank, but I've never had one get all the way in. You should post this in the fish trapping skills section I think. 8)

You should post this in the fish trapping skills section I think.
LOL! yeah, the zebras are always bumping my fingers or outright nibling on me. I figure the tube was so perfectly aligned with its aproach that it never saw the glass (being edge on), it took a nip at my fingers, and when it tried to make its get-away swam right on in. Or it might have seen it but thought a spot on the tube was a food flake and went for it anyway. One thing about doing a very slow cycle with zebras is that you spend a lot of time watching them, and realize they are much more than boring, cheap starter fish. I have learned that they are good bottom cleaners, and seem to hunt down food flakes that make it into the gravel by smell. I have watched them do grid like searches of the bottom, circling back in smaller paterns until they find the flakes in the gravel. Some of them seem to have realized where the circulation is most likely to deposit uneaten food flakes and immediately search the bottom there first right after the last flake is taken from the water's surface.

Back
Top Bottom