Test Tubes vs. Test Strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabyrd

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if there's a reason that most people around here seem to use test tube type water tests instead of the quick dip test strips? When I first started, I was using the tube type of water tests because I felt that they would be more accurate. Now, I use the quick dip test strips since my tanks are established. I have been using these for a few years now. I have the unnecessary Ammonia detector hanging in the back corner of the tank, and only check for nitrAte every few days. All of my tanks are healthy. Am I wrong in my ways? Here's my logic:

Tank is established, so Ammonia should be 0 (bacterial conversion),
NitrIte should be zero (bacterial conversion),
Nothing in tank to change pH, so I only check when doing a water change.
Only NitrAte should rise.

Since I'm established I like the convenience of the dip sticks even though they are more expensive and in my mind less accurate. Is there any other reason to do the drop/test tube type test over the dip stick?

I like using both. And sometimes one is different from the other. I also don't have an established aquarium, and I test my water everyday. Once in the morning and once at night. Which is most likely way too much. But I can't help it.

I was told it is best to use Salicylate tests from Kordon. But I can't find them. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

I don't like test tubes because our tap water contaminates the tubes when you rinse them out and you can't get any kind of accurate results. I like the strips a lot.

Ryan

test strips

Reberly, When using the test strips it says to get the water from your tank and put in the little tube and then dip (vigorisly) in the test tube. Okay, so my question (and it does not reference it anywhere on the strips).. Should you rinse the tube in the tap after you use it or just dump out the tank water from it (like a tablespoon) and then store?
Thank you for the help.

When using the test strips it says to get the water from your tank and put in the little tube and then dip (vigorisly) in the test tube.
That's only on the ammonia test strips. Nitrite/Nitrate and pH don't come with test tubes. I use a permanent ammonia indicator in the back corner and only check ammonia if I lose a fish.

I'm not sure about your question. My test strips say to submerge them in the water and immediately remove them without shaking off excess water. I just put them straight in the tank, I hope this isn't a stupid thing to do...

Ryan

My Mardel test strips say to do that. But whether they cause harm or not, I guess I'll never know. My gourami stares at the test strip when I test the water. :mrgreen:

According to many, the strips are less accurate, and they can become contaminated. Yes, it is not as important to test for ammonia and nitrites once your tank is established, but that does not mean you should not test for them. An established tank can experience a "crash" for a variety of reasons, like illness or medication treatment. Your municipal water/well water can change, creating different conditions in your tank without you realizing it, so it is a good idea to check these things periodically. (No, I'm not obsessed with my tanks..... :roll: )

I always use the test tubes due to their accuracy. I am a firm believer that finding any change is important, not just the large ones, and the test strips have a hard time discerning. I know the test tubes are accurate, I don't believe the strips to be as accurate. To each their own.

What brand of the tube tests would anyone recommend? I'm currently using Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Anything out there around the same price that would be better? Or something with less messy test tubes?

I'd like to chime in here to the discussion if I could...

I actually use the strips and the tubes but I use them for different purposes. I use the strips when I am "on the go" and don't have time to mess with filling up the tubes, shaking them, holding them up to the card, etc... I use the strips for my exact measurements. The strips are great if you want to see if there perhaps *is* a problem. One you have identified that something is not right, you can then use the tubes to further "lock in" one what is wrong.

Case in point: In one of my tanks, I am monitoring the nitrite levels daily. Instead of having to fill the tube up I went out and bought the Jungle Labs test strips. I just dip them in real quick to see if there is a nitrite reading. If there is, then the cycle is not complete and there is nothing I do. However, if I notice that the strip for nitrite is not as red as the day before, I can then use the tube to "zero" in on the exact reading.

I feel they compliment each other when doing tank up-keep. But if you really want the exact numbers, go with the tubes...

Just my $.02

What about my situation where rinsing test tubes in tap water throws the results off even after they dry? I don't have the time to boil my tubes in distilled water every time i use them. Any kind of cleaning solution I could use?

Ryan

Reberly, how can you tell that your tests are inaccurate when using the tubes? You have another kit you are testing against?

My test strips, yea. At least for pH, my strips used on distilled and drinking water say the pH is 7.0 (which it should be) but the tubes say it's over 8.2, just like our tap water.

Ryan

Biggen said:
The strips are great if you want to see if there perhaps *is* a problem. One you have identified that something is not right, you can then use the tubes to further "lock in" one what is wrong.

This is basically what I do. I guess it's just that I have never had any SERIOUS issues with my tank. Not yet anyway. I have my test tube kit under the tank (somewhere) that I can use if I need a more accurate reading, but I don't think i've used it in over 18 months or so. The drops are probably expired.

Perhaps it's a lazy approach to fish/waterkeeping, but here's what I do...
I check pH only after water changes. I don't have anything in my tanks that affect pH. I don't check ammonia as I have a permanant indicator that turns green if ammonia rises. It stays yellow indicating no ammonia. I dip the nitrite/nitrate strip about once a week to see where the levels are. Basically, as long as my fish aren't dying, I'm not overly concerned about my water. I have good water here in H-town and basically my tanks are low maintenance. If I see a fish doing the backstroke or acting oddly, I'll do a dip test to see what's wrong, and then I'll do a drop test to get a better idea. But like I say, I pretty much let the water take care of itself with only the biweekly waterchange.

Back
Top Bottom