Testing Tank vs Well Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tested my tank and the Nitrates looked really high. They've never tested this high before! Here are the readings: Ammonia: 0ppm (been steady), Nitrites: 0ppm (been steady), Nitrates: 40 - 80ppm (an all time high!), and Ph: 8.0 (been steady)

Out of curiousity I tested the tap water. I used to live in city and the test results were always a constant 0ppm on the Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. The Ph bounced a bit, but was always around the 7.0 mark.Here are the results: Ammonia: .25ppm, Nitrites: .5ppm, Nitrates: 5ppm, and Ph: 8.4. Now I live more in the country and my water supply is a well. I honestly thought that the well would be much better than city water and never tested it except for when I moved in. Should I do anything about this (add any media to my filter, etc) or just test both the tank the well water more consistantly?

I would assume that .25 ppm of NH3 should be converted rather quickly in a cycled tank. I honestly wouldn't worry about it if it were me. However, 40-80 is high for your tank. Has it been a while since your last water change?

It hadn't been *to* long since my last water change, but it was a bit longer than usual. I want to say it was about 2 weeks (I normally try one PWC every week). I have to get better at keeping track of these things. I think the high Nitrates may partially be my fault for over feeding. I recent got a new Ropefish and I was concerned that he wasn't eating so I kept putting a little bit more frozen food in until I saw he was eating something. Still, I don't think I was feeding that much. I'm just glad I caught it and can work on lowering it now!

Back
Top Bottom