Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tetra Easy Balance

Has anyone ever used for short or long period this product??

Experiences?

ps. I know the opinion of the gurus of this forum, but...I have it there under the tank and I wonder...

Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mmm I used to use it for some time but it was becoming expensive and I prefer not to use anything and do the normal PWC.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah...its only that for me even the PWC costs...you see I have 37ppm NO3 in my tap water...So I buy osmosis water and mix it with tap water in every PWC. That´s why I thought that I would use it...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've never used it, but I just checked out several reviews and the Tetra web site on it, and I don't think I'd use it.

Tetra states that it reduces phosphates and nitrates in the aquarium, which is one of (perhaps the main) reason for PWC's in an unplanted aquarium.

Later, on Tetra's website, they say how it's also great for planted aquariums.

Now, perhaps Easy Balance has a method of tying up the Nitrates and Phosphates in a manner which renders them non-toxic, yet still available to plants, much like Prime binds up ammonia. I can't find any confirmed information on how it works. One person states that the Nitrate is converted to Nitrous Oxide and out-gassed (He doesn't cite a source). In absence of any specific information, it's hard to tell, but if it gets rid of Nitrate and Phosphate, I don't want it in my planted tank.

Other people have given it mixed reviews- For some it worked, some reported wild pH swings, and others think it does nothing at all. For those that report it worked, hard water and lots of aeration were cited as helping. Tetra's website confirms this with warnings of possible problems with a kh of 2 degrees or lower, or with insufficent aeration.

[Edit] Whoops! Missed why you wanted to try it. Changes my advice a bit! I'd look at some low light plants, maybe in conjunction with a slightly brighter light. Cross over to the planted side, and let some Java Moss eat the Nitrates.

Tags
bala, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com