tetra fungus guard??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought a school of neon tetras. Then went back today to get more as i was told they do even better in larger schools. Well they proceed to tell me they have detected problems with some of their fish and the neon tetra tank was possibly a problem.

After showing them my receipt that i purchased them the day before they gave me a box of tetra fungus guard. Said it would clear up the problem if infected. It says it clears fungus and bacteria fast. I know i need to remove the carbon before adding. How long before i put the carbon back in? Also, it says it clears bacteria, would this stuff affect my beneficial bacteria?

Also, i researched this stuff and find that it can turn the water green. If that is the case how long does it stay green? Any and all experience with this is appreciated.

60 gallon lightly planted.

This product contains two antibiotics (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). I don't know what percent they are in. The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. Will they affect your bb? They may. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer. It's affect on your plants and bb is dependent on the concentration, so once again, it may. Tetra/jungle is rather vague in disclosing anything specific. You may want to consider treating your fish in qt if you want to avoid tank issues.

This product contains two antibiotics (nitrofurazone & furizolidone) and an anti fungal (potassium dichromate). I don't know what percent they are in. The fura antibiotics are milder, older meds. Will they affect your bb? They may. The Kdichromate is a strong oxidizer. It's affect on your plants and bb is dependent on the concentration, so once again, it may. Tetra/jungle is rather vague in disclosing anything specific. You may want to consider treating your fish in qt if you want to avoid tank issues.

The package does not specify the percentage of ingredients. I just thought someone may have used the stuff before and could share their experience. They gave me tetra fungus guard. I also found some stuff called jungle fungus clear that appears to be the same thing. Just wondering if one is better than the other or if either would be beneficial. Does it turn the water green? Does it kill BB? If anyone can share their experience with it i would appreciate it.

They are the same product. Tetra bought out Jungle a couple of years ago. Whether your water will turn green or not depends on its chemical composition- potassium dichromate will react with certain water constituents that we do not test for and turn green.

They are the same product. Tetra bought out Jungle a couple of years ago. Whether your water will turn green or not depends on its chemical composition- potassium dichromate will react with certain water constituents that we do not test for and turn green.

Do you know how long it would take to clear if it did turn green? Just trying to figure out if I need to go with somethig different and just pay for it instead of using what they gave me.

Well, whatever the neons had is killing my guppies. I had my guppies for over a week. First day they stayed near the top, but after that they were all over the place. Today, starting this morning they have been very lethargic. Just now saw my yellow guppy laying lifeless on the bottom. Appeared to be upside down. Tried to dip him out and he came to and ran off.

Needless to say i have learned the hard way i need to invest in a quarantine setup. My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate between 10-20. Ph is 7.6

I also got some of my tank water in a bucket and dropped some of those tetra fungus guard tablets in. Water in the bucket turned blue green. Not using that stuff in the tank.

What is recommended to treat the entire tank (60 gallon) with the potential to treat multiple issues at once?

Well, whatever the neons had is killing my guppies. I had my guppies for over a week. First day they stayed near the top, but after that they were all over the place. Today, starting this morning they have been very lethargic. Just now saw my yellow guppy laying lifeless on the bottom. Appeared to be upside down. Tried to dip him out and he came to and ran off.

Needless to say i have learned the hard way i need to invest in a quarantine setup. My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate between 10-20. Ph is 7.6

I also got some of my tank water in a bucket and dropped some of those tetra fungus guard tablets in. Water in the bucket turned blue green. Not using that stuff in the tank.

What is recommended to treat the entire tank (60 gallon) with the potential to treat multiple issues at once?

Ok, this is strange. I was up til 4am this morning worrying about my fish. I figured my yellow guppy would surely be dead when I got up today as when I went to bed he was upside down laying lifeless on the bottom. Well, today he is swimming around like nothing happened. Still a bit lethargic as well as the other guppies. I have tested my water three times in the last 24 hours. All is well. Nitrates between 10 and 20, but I have about 10 plants so that should not be an issue. Anyway, I never used the fungus guard. I did try some in a bucket just to see if it would turn my water and it did. The bucket water is dark blue green.

Anyone got any insight on what is going on with my guppies?

Back
Top Bottom