Tetra Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zahra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I did some research and finally went and got some tetras that I read would work out well with angelfish. I got 3 pristella tetras, and (what I thought were) 3 lemon tetras. I noticed that every 2 days or so my angelfish's dorsal fin looked like someone took a few nips at it. Today I caught one of the 'lemon' tetras nipping him. So I googled it and apparently the pet store had the tank mislabeled...the 'lemon' tetras are actually red eye tetras.

My angelfish is a lot bigger than they are, but still I don't like them doing that to him. I'm not going to set up another tank specifically for the red eye tetras either. I took out the aggressive one for now and they all seem to be doing okay, but I still don't trust this situation. That aggressive one really beat up another one of the red eye tetras (I don't think it's gonna make it though). Should I just get rid of the most aggressive red eye tetra and leave the other 2 in the tank? Or just get rid of all the red eye tetras? I'd appreciate input right away - I know of a locally owned pet store that would probably take them off my hands (considering they took some of my fish before), and I'm going past there tomorrow on my drive. I only go past there once every 2 weeks, and I don't want them another 2 weeks if they're going to keep nipping the angel.
Thanks in advance!

I'd return all 3 Red Eyes. In your research didn't it say that Tetras do best in schools of six or more ???Anytime you have less you also risk any Tetra being more aggressive.

I would get three or more Pristellas instead. And Lemon Tetras are very easy to tell from red eyes. Make sure you take a smart phone with you if possible or a book.

Fill out you Pristella group first. Then see if you have room for other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agreed with above. You can't really mix tetra types to make up the group of 6. You need to have 6 of the same species, and the more the better (ideally 8-10+) to if you have ones that are prone to fin nipping. Fin nipping tetras tend to keep their nips to their fellow school members when they have sufficient school mates to keep them busy. Without enough same species they go after tank mates, and Angel fins are far too tempting to ignore.

Unfortunately, the store I bought them from doesn't allow returns of live fish. I just emailed the owner of the pet store I mentioned in my original post to see if she'll take them.

I'll go and buy more pristellas once I get rid of the red eyed tetras.

I didn't have my smartphone with me at the time of the purchase. I'll be sure to bring it along in the future. Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom