Tetra question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beagle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I moved my tank and started a mini cycle, my ammonia readings have dropped from 2ppm to .25, nitrite 0. I will retest saturday and if they are good I will get some neon tetras to go with the two I have now. I am thinking of a school of 10 neons, 6 cories, and a school of some other tetra, maybe black neons. Does anyone have any ideas what other tetra would go nicely with the neons if i decide not to go with the black neons? My tank is a 40gal long.

cardinals, green neons, possibly kerri's, black skirts... almost any tetra would be ok in that size tank. Some can get nippy but in a 40L there is plenty of swimming room and if kept in proper group sizes, you shouldn't have any big issues. Careful on adding additional fish at this point. Neons can be hyper sensitive to any ammonia or nitrite... add into the mix an adjustment from the store water to your tank water, and the stress of riding home in the bag, and you might end up with some dead fish. I would wait until you are certain the ammonia spike is done and over with before adding any additional fish.

Well my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0 and Ph 6.4 today so I went to my local (not a chain store) fish store to get some neons. The neon tank was being treated for ich so I didn't get any of them. I saw 1 little julii cory in a different tank with no cory tank mates. Well I had 1 julii cory in my tank at home so I figured I might as well bring this little guy home. I now have 2 corys. The little guy is following my older cory all around the tank. I will get about 4 more julii corys when my LFS has them in stock.

Lots of tetras to choose from. One large group looks better than 2 small groups in my opinion. Congrats on the corys some of my favorite fish.

red/blue olumbian tetras are awesome here is one of mine
5870564819_c0bd0e443a.jpg

his fins will turn a dark red and his bodhy a greenish blue. they are related to the piranha which makes them really cool, but they aren't aggressive.

All tetras are related to piranha. They're all characins.

Colombians are cool, but grow large and may stress more passive tank mates with their extreme level of activity. They're also great at outcompeting other fish for food.

i didnt know that. well they have sharp looking teeth. and i know what you mean by active and having trouble with feeding the other fish. i have to feed the tetras floating brineshrimp and bloodworms and the apistos sinking pellets.

It's true, those little neon tetras you see in the tank are related in some way to that vicious pirhana that shreds anything moving in the water. Same with pacus and pirhanas, pacus get like HUGE but only eat vegetables (unless you watched that episode of River Monsters where they were in New Zealand) and pirhanas eat flesh, but they look the same.

I personally like rummynoses, neons, black neons, and glowlights. I am thinking of getting some rummynoses when I am done understocking my tank (right now it is overstocked, I'm doing some rehoming).

Back
Top Bottom