Tetra questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just recently acquired 2 lemon tetras. After I put them in my tank I read online that you should at least get 6 since they are schooling fish. Should I get more? I only have a 10 gallon tank, ( might be a 15, not exactly sure ) and currently have 3 female bettas, 2 dwarf frogs, and a Cory cat. Also, is it okay to mix different types of tetras ??

Yes they do much better in schools of at least 6 but if you have a 10g getting 4 more would overstock your tank. If you have a 15g it would work. Also if you have a 15g I would suggest getting 2 more cory cats as they do better in shoals.

Well, you need a group if at least 4 Cory's, and a group of 5+ lemon tetras, which you don't have room for, I would rehome the lemons and get at least three more Cory's, large tetras like those need at least 20 gallons

OP before you do anything you need to measure your tank and figure out how many gallons it actually is.

Well, you need a group if at least 4 Cory's, and a group of 5+ lemon tetras, which you don't have room for, I would rehome the lemons and get at least three more Cory's, large tetras like those need at least 20 gallons

Just so you know depending on the species 4 cory cats can have a much higher bioload than lemon tetra's. It is also a highly debated subject of how big a shoal of cory's are actually needed. There is no right number. In a small tank not knowing the species of cory involved having 3 can also be over stock in a 10g but it will give company to the single cory.

Would other types of tetra work for the same school of lemons?

Yea true on the cories, te bioad isn't too great, so a weekly water change will suffice, but if they are like emerald Cory's, then the size is too large

I actually have two Cory cats. Not just a single one. Forgot to mention that. They are the small ones.

Would other types of tetra work for the same school of lemons?

I'm not sure what your asking. If you asking if you got another type of tetra to go with the 2 lemon tetras then no they probably won't school.

I actually have two Cory cats. Not just a single one. Forgot to mention that. They are the small ones.

Most cory cats are sold at a small size, rarely adult size. What species or type of cory cat are they? Can you post a picture. You have to take into consideration on the adult size of any fish you plan to add to a tank.

Most cory cats are sold at a small size, rarely adult size. What species or type of cory cat are they? Can you post a picture. You have to take into consideration on the adult size of any fish you plan to add to a tank.

I am not currently home. But I am almost positive they are the "dwarf ones" ... Here is a picture I found on the Internet. They look similar to this.

Attachments

• image-2875044685.jpg
    image-2875044685.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 43
Those are often called Emerald cory cats and adult size is around 3" which is a large cory.

Those are emerald Cory (brochis splendens) are not Cory cats, they look like it, but aren't, and they grow huge! I had an adult in a 55 gallon, and he was 3.5-4 inches long, grow big! I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 40 gallon, as they are very active, like to chase each other, and like to race in the medium levels, they are too active for a nothing less than a 40 gallon, I would rehome them and either get pigmy cories or false Julii's

So what happens if I don't get more tetras?? Is it mandatory that they school?? Can someone explain the issue? Thank you!

Well, you school tetras because that's how they are in the wild, they feel more secure, when in an inadequate group, they will likely hide all day and won't come out, and they might even live short lives

Those are emerald Cory (brochis splendens) are not Cory cats, they look like it, but aren't, and they grow huge! I had an adult in a 55 gallon, and he was 3.5-4 inches long, grow big! I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 40 gallon, as they are very active, like to chase each other, and like to race in the medium levels, they are too active for a nothing less than a 40 gallon, I would rehome them and either get pigmy cories or false Julii's

Brochis Splendens and Mutiradiatus are in the sub-family Corydoradinae, the same as Cory cats (Corydoras). The difference is the genus. Aspidoras, which I keep, are also in the same sub-family with it's own genus. All are commonly refered to as cory cats since they are all in the same family of armored catfish.

Back
Top Bottom