Tetra Safe Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, still semi new to the aquarium game. I set up my 6.5 gallon tank in the beginning of April with 4 neon tetras because I had no clue about fishless cycling and was poorly informed. I have been struggling with getting the tank to cycle.

After doing some reading about TSS, I decided to give it a shot. Only I made some mistakes with it too. I did not wait 24 hours since using Prime. I also used a bigger bottle than necessary (the one for 40 gallon tanks) because I didn't know there was a smaller bottle.

So I treated with TSS 2 days ago, tested this morning and saw higher ammonia levels than I have ever had (4.0!!!) so I panicked and did 2 partial water changes and got it down to 0.25ppm. I treated the new water with prime and decided I would add a new bottle of TSS tomorrow after waiting the 24 hours.

On a whim, I decided to test for nitrates tonight. I have still yet to see a nitrite spike so I figured I was wasting my time but amazingly, I have nitrates! I never had a positive nitrite test. Is this common with TSS? To get positive nitrates without ever having a nitrite spike since I am introducing the bacteria directly?

My nitrates are between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm, and I tested for ammonia again tonight and it is around 0.5 ppm so it is still unstable. Should I add more TSS (I already bought another bottle) and continue as planned or just wait it out and see where the levels go? Also, what are the ideal nitrate levels that I should be looking for and with the reading I got, how long until my ammonia stops climbing?

Just take the fish back and throw a table shrimp/fish food in the tank to use as an ammonia source. Or go to a hardware store and get pure grade ammonia. It works even better.

Are you using a liquid test kit?

Caleb

Just take the fish back and throw a table shrimp/fish food in the tank to use as an ammonia source. Or go to a hardware store and get pure grade ammonia. It works even better.

Are you using a liquid test kit?

Caleb

2nd'd. You can get a bottle of ammonia at some dollar stores even- cheaper than any fish! No water changes, no worries.

Otherwise, add safestart as the directions say to and keep doing water changes until ammonia and nitrite stay at 0. Have you had nitrite show up yet?

2nd'd. You can get a bottle of ammonia at some dollar stores even- cheaper than any fish! No water changes, no worries.

Otherwise, add safestart as the directions say to and keep doing water changes until ammonia and nitrite stay at 0. Have you had nitrite show up yet?

I've never used this "safe start" stuff. Is it a bacteria supplement? I see no need to buy all the extra chemicals and waste money when you can just get ammonia and cycle Fishless.

Caleb

I've never used this "safe start" stuff. Is it a bacteria supplement? I see no need to buy all the extra chemicals and waste money when you can just get ammonia and cycle Fishless.

Caleb

Honestly I don't use it either. But safe start is the "approved" bacteria supplement, apparently it somewhat works. And if you've already got it ya may as well use it :lol:

Safestart works. I've used it several times without issue. Follow the instructions and you'll be okay. I've also used Marineland Aquarium Bacteria that's in a squeeze pouch with good results. Old school guys may remember a thing called BioSpira. TSS and the Marineland version are the exact same things.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Safestart works. I've used it several times without issue. Follow the instructions and you'll be okay. I've also used Marineland Aquarium Bacteria that's in a squeeze pouch with good results. Old school guys may remember a thing called BioSpira. TSS and the Marineland version are the exact same things.

I remember biospira, it was the only bacteria supplement I trusted. When I got back into the hobby last year I wondered what happened to it and was shocked to find out it was the same as TSS. Still would rather just fishless cycle than anything though.

So I guess I'm an old-school guy? :lol:

As I stated, I already have fish so fish less is not an option. I've had them for 2 months the fish store will not take them back at this point.

I also mentioned I have not ever had nitrites, but I do now have nitrates. I understand fish less is easier and cheaper but I did not know that prior to set up. So yes maybe excess stuff isn't necessary when you go fish less but since I was terribly informed I did not go that route and cycling is not working naturally at all.

I did already use tss but I didn't do that correctly by waiting 24 hours since using a conditioner, since it doesn't say to do that anywhere on the instructions I only found that info on the web site.

I am just curious if using a bacteria supplement would cause the cycle to skip a nitrite spike and start producing nitrates.

You're all good with the nitrAtes!
I have seen many cycles without any trace of nitrItes.
Keep testing to be safe,but I don't think you need more TSS,I think it has worked for you already.

Just keep doing the water changes, and monitor the levels every day. TSS has worked well for me, just make sure the Expiry Date is still good. Once you start to read no more Ammonia or Nitrite, you can start to move the monitoring to a every few days, etc..

If I have positive nitrates, why is my ammonia still climbing? Does it take a few days for the levels to drop?

You will see ammonia and nitrite for a few days, or up to two weeks. They should be usually low, 1.0-1.5ppm to provide the cycle needed. These are not toxic levels but may induce stress but nothing harmful or lasting. If levels get higher, do a water change to bring them back down, but you'll need to redose TSS.

Are you using any product to lock up or remove ammonia currently? If so, stop using it. It'll kill the TSS bacteria. Don't use anything except a basic water conditioner and the TSS. Carbon won't effect the TSS but UV light will kill the bacteria too.

If I have positive nitrates, why is my ammonia still climbing? Does it take a few days for the levels to drop?

Possibly this is from using too much(the large bottle you mentioned) of the TSS?
If you are adding anything or stock stop and wait for tank to stabilize.
Nitrates of 10 should be bacteria enough to handle your stocking IMO?

I used prime to condition the water at the last change 2 days ago but not since the nitrates appeared. Nitrates are at about 10 ppm, ammonia has risen from 0.5ppm yesterday to 1.0ppm today. 0 nitrites. Nitrites have never been anything but 0. :/

Yes they are acting fine. I'm just worried. Ammonia at 2.0 today. Nitrates around 10. Nitrite 0. I don't want to lose them. They are my sons fish and he is 3 :(

If it gets any higher do a water change. What filter are you using on the 6.5 gallon tank?

I'm using a tetra whisper for a 10 gallon. It's filter media is nice and black and I have strings of a white mucusy substance streaming from the top which I am assuming and hoping is bacteria.

I'm about ready to trash this tank. Get a new one and start over with a fish less cycle and then move them into it.

Back
Top Bottom