Tetra School Vs Spotted Pictus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gl with 1 apple snail and 2 baby spotted pictus. My little spotted pictus are live wires holding true to the frisky personality these fish have. They are little trouble makers and we call them double trouble. They are not "mean" to the snail Gary who is twice their size. They just like to "play" with him and go up and check him out, or if he is hanging on the side of the tank they like to swim around him and scoot him with their noses. They are always digging in the gravel and just act like they own the place. LOL

They have been in there 12 days. I figured it was time to make up my mind on my "school" fish and I decided on tetra. I went with the colored tetra. I am sure they are dyed to be colored and I dont agree with that practice but they are already colored, need a home and I rather make them happy. I also understand that dyed fish can be sicker then healthy fish etc and the color will fade. I debated it and thought about it in the store and decided it was the fish I wanted. The nice thing is I bought 8 and not all have color. I have some just white. yay! I got 8 of them to start with and see how I like that size of a school.

I get home and stick them in the tank. Before they could regroup and get together the pictus cats just terrorized them! Chased a few around the tank, when the tetra would finally school a cat would race through the school and break them up and go pick on a single fish.

The cats never nipped, just chases and "played" with the Tetra and the Tetra were freaking out. It was a site to see my cats being the bully in the tank.

All is settled down now and the Tetra I am sure are trying to regroup their nerves. The cats have moved on to other things in the tank like chasing each other and of course their favorite past time playing in the bubble curtain.

I have the complete back of the tank a bubble curtain and the cats love to go back and forth through it.

I had no luck keeping pictus cats. They ate everything they could fit in their mouths. I eventually had to return them to the lfs.

Back
Top Bottom