TetraJen's road to a twenty gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetrajen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I just became a member and thought I would introduce myself. My best friend of the last ten years, Sandy, a Shepard mix died a few months ago, and left a real hole in my life. I don't see myself owning another dog for awhile, but I do like to come home to something alive and beautiful. I've kept small aquariums most of my life, but never had any great success at it, but when I saw my twin nephews Christmas presents last year, two nano tanks, I decided I was going to do it right this time, and beautifully. I knew I wanted a beta but I wanted to give it a nice home. For about fifty dollars I bought a 1.5 gallon bowl, a small heater, some gravel, a plant, and an under-gravel filter. Ares was beautiful red and blue fantail and doing great, and I was frequenting a local Pet store when I saw the unusually orange colored Brun and made him my second Beta. I created the same set up for him. Both are doing great, but I wanted more. I always loved Panda Cory's and thought they would be good in a Beta tank. Instead of doing my homework I ran out and bought four Panda's, two for each Beta bowl. I told you I was never very successful. The Beta's beat up on the Panda's. I had to get them out of there and quick. I ran out one Saturday and bought a ten gallon bow front, some gravel filled it with plants and added the four Panda's. Only two survived. Well now I had a 10 gallon with two fish. I added four Rummy nose tetra's again without and research. They were skittish and hiding all the time, and after finally doing some reading, I thought it might have to do with the fact that they prefer a larger group. I went out and purchased two more. They perked up immediately. Water changes were done with Poland Spring water that has a great PH and hardness as well as 0ppm Nitrite and Nitrates. They were thriving. They would dance for me at feeding time it was wonderful. At this point I made a mistake only I don't quite know what it was. First was using condition tap water instead of the tried and true spring I had been using. The second was trying a treat a feeding time.I gave them some frozen food. Shrimp/Bloodworms/algae. One of them or both was a BIG mistake. I guess they developed some stomach disorder that led to stressing them out which led to ick. I lost one of my six Rummynose's to it, and the others haven't quite recovered there colors yet. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a twenty gallon tank. I have all the equipment, just waiting on an under-gravel heater for some convection current, and substrate. While waiting for all this to arrive I came across some beautiful Ember Tetra's at my local pet store, and couldn't pass them up, and I have added eight to my ten gallon. They should be alright with the other fish in the ten, until I set up my twenty. Believe me I am now doing my homework, I'm going to get this right, and being a member of this forum will hopefully help. I have attached some pictures. I can't seem to get them the right way up. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0016-1.jpg
    IMG_0016-1.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 54
Welcome tetrajen to a wonderful, confusing, intricate and VERY personalized hobby. My best advice is to ask questions, and then do your own massive research. The internet is chock full of everything you can imagine about this hobby. Other than the very basic and proven requirements of your fish, there are as many "opinions" about what is best and why when it comes to equipment and tactics. Take all the advice you get and the research you do and decide what is right for you and your situation based on what you think is the best. You will make mistakes, but you will also get better and better at what you want. Enjoy the learning process and reap its rewards over the years. Mostly enjoy watching your beautiful fish and their antics. I still feel like a beginner even after 50 year in this hobby.
Caudially, Old Scales.
"Respect all creatures great & small, cause God never made junk"

Thank you Old Scales. You are so right. I've already made a few, but hopefully the remainder will be few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom