Tetras & suitable tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smaller tetras, I'll argue, can go in a species only 5 gallon tank.

Tiny neons, lemon tetras ect..

People may chastise me for this, but they certainly can thrive 6 fish at a time in a 5 gal. The dimensions are so minutely different from a ten gallon other than height, it doesn't matter.

Take or leave my advise, but it is what I will always believe.

16x8x8, vs 20x10x10... when you're talking about that small of a tank, I'd wager to say that's a pretty big difference. After all, it does make the 10 gallon nearly twice as large. ;)

Lemons grow too large for a 10 gallon IMO, and are FAR too active. Other than embers, I'd say neons, and MAYBE von rios.

A trio of black phantoms could be ok IMO.
I don't know of any other tetras. There are other little schoolers, but no more tetras in my knowledge bank.

^idk about those bro;)

those might be too active

the max i'd do would be 6 GREEN neon tetras and thats it.........those max out at 1/2"

Heck i cant think of any tetras that would actually do well in a 5 gallon tank.

I didn't know neons were suitable for a 10 gallon. I might do that.
Well this shows just cause they're small doesn't mean most tetras can go in a small tank.

The green neons that were mentioned are a different species than regular neons, and much harder to find. IMO either would do ok in a 10, but the green neons would be a better choice.

No emperors. They get big, and they're extremely active. I'd recommend a 30 long, minimum.

Yes I have emperors in a 25 they are very active. I also have 6 neons in a 10 and they seem happy by themselves, I might put a Betta in there with them.

You could always make a neon tetra tank and then have some dwarf shrimp, like RCS or ghost shrimp.

I agree about the emperors getting too big and active. I also think cards get too big. They can reach 2 inches, and are active, so I would recommend a 20g minimum for them.
I have heard people on both sides of the neons in 10g debate, but I have never kept neons, so I don't know.

What about pepper tetras? They only get to about an inch. The LFS I go to had them listed as being ok for a 10 gallon. I've never kept them before so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Back
Top Bottom