THANK YOU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgkaelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
THANKS to everyone that gave me live plant advice... my 10 gallon is INSANE. i'm cutting the green hygro every three days because it is growing like a WILDFIRE! with the flourish, CO2, and trying to keep my (2wpg) lighting on for about 12 hours a day, the tank has turned into a jungle in 2 weeks! in fact, now i just don't know what to do with all the cuttings, because it's all growing so fast! if anyone wants some green hygro (i think-- i bought it labeled as indian water star), and something like sunsey hygro (that's what it looks like, but i bought it at petco unlabeled) , tell me how to pack it and i'll send you some cuttings, snail free !

Rockin'! That's great news. I knew it wouldn't take too long for the plants to take over! Hygros are insane growers, absolutely insane. They should really only cost about 50 cents a bundle, as you can create a saleable bundle in a couple of weeks with very little effort! Glad to that all the other plants are growing well, too!

My 55 is growing really fast, too. MUST get some pictures of it up on the web--have been so lazy about this recently.

i'd be interested in the hydro cuttings, though i wouldn't know how to ship them. how large can they grow to, and will 1.8wpg be ok?

Unless you have well-insulated boxes, and probably heat packs too, much of the USA is way too cold to be shipping plants right now.

I give plants away at work, and I still end up composting bunches of stuff every month. My lfs won't take plants for store credit, and I can't stand the people there anyway.

Mr. Burns, hygro will grow at 1.8 wpg, but it will get "leggy". long spaces of stem between leaves. At least that's what it does in my low-light tank.Not very attractive, IMO.

does the giant hydro do the same thing? i won't be able to get above 2wpg until i get my new tank finished up. right now we're in single digit temps, with wind chills in the negatives, so and i have to wait until it gets warmer before i can finish the stand.

does the giant hydro do the same thing?

I just keep green hygro, and sunset hygro. the sunset won't even survive in my low-light tank. I have no idea if giant hygro would make it or not with your current setup.

wow! a heat wave! i'm actually jealous b/c if we had that here, all this damned snow would be melted and i wouldn't have to worry about icey (icy?) roads... i'd actually be able to start construction too.... :|

lol, it really is a heat wave... I haven't even been turning the heat on in the morning lately, lol

Luckily if we get ice it's typcially gone the next day.

mr burns,
my hygro is in 2.0wpg and it grows like a WEED, but corvus is right, now that he mentions it, it is semi-leggy, and it likes to grow horizontally! i must cut the suckers 3 times a week. i'm in los angeles and it's not that cold... where do you live? in a week or so i'm going to have a lot of hygro (and i realize that it's not sunset hygro that i have-- i don't know what it is though!)

Back
Top Bottom