Thanks to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilMar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the help on getting me started. ( Allivymar, Tigerlily, Madame_X, and Sweetsuvvyb, just to name a few, because there were a lot more).

I am finally at the point where it all is working, and I can sit back and watch. My little guys and gals are seemingly happy and all the ick, worms, upset levels are all in the past (till the next time) :)

So thanks y'all You give the aquarium scene a giant plus. I hope, I too can help someone new down the road some day, I've learned alot.

The best thing a person can do is to come here first, and leave the lfs for buying fish.

Yay!!

Its SO nice to hear success stories :) I'm pleased to hear all is going well, and both you AND your fish are happy. And you will find your experiences will be quite valuable in helping the next group of newbies who wander in from the internet ether.

Have a couple kudos for being kind enough to let us know all is going well *grin*

Glad the people here could help.
Thats what we are here for.
This is without a doubt the best fish forum on the net.
Alot of wonderful people with great advice.

The best thing a person can do is to come here first, and leave the lfs for buying fish.

Yes, but the problem is we don't know we need help until we are already up to our ears in problems. Then I found this site and learned a lot.

Spread the word, believe me, I do. You would be amazed at how many people in the lfs that don't know about this site. The thing to do is to put a link on your website if you have one, regardless of the content of your website. I do. :)

That's a good idea, I'll get my programmer right on it. Wonder how fish and alarms will go together? :lol:

Glad we could all be of help, Phil. We've all been there so its great to hear first hand what has worked for others, instead of relying on the manufacturers' claims of what their products do. Not to mention how safe they REALLY are. :)

We look forward to seeing some pics!

I've posted in my gallery one pic of the whole thing, but it's not to revealing. I'm still trying to teach these little guys to not be camera shy. Not to mention the camera I'm using is one of the first out.

Quick question, off subject :!: I was just looking at the calculators link above, and did the tank verses fish numbers, and it came back in inches minus the tail 8) What is the thought behind that......how did they figure what the waste per inch of fish is, if that's what they're figuring:?: is this a stupid question or not :lol:

Not sure where that rule of thumb came from but it really only seems to apply to smaller tropical fish.

Based on that rule, you could put four 12" oscars in a 55 gallon tank and still have room. And we all know THAT wouldn't be a good idea... 8)

What it looks like it's saying is 1 inch per gal. when I put in 39gals, it came back 39 inches. Kinda strange.

what is the rule of thumb on the number of fish in a tank? I have 39 gal with 4 adult swordtails, 2 adult mollies, (5) 3 week old fry mollies, 2 adult platies, (1) 1 week old fry platy, 2 cories, and one 3 inch Pleco. Lots of plants both live and plastic.

I'd have to second that motion PhilMar, my hair stopped graying from stress when Alli and Suvvy stepped onto the scene. Ahhh, my happy lil finned friends. :mrgreen:

Hrmm. Never looked at the calculator before; you're right Phil. Said my 25g tank can old 25 inches of fish (minus the tail). LOL Think we need to do something bout that...

Its a lot more complicated then that. One needs to take into account adult size, temperament, swimming/space needs, compatibility, effect on bioload and water husbandry. Your tank is in fine shape Phil; if it weren't for the fact you have livebearers (who will fill up the tank with babies given a chance *grin*), you could prob add a couple more fish easily. I would suggest a few more corys; the bigger the school the happier they are.

*blushes* Awww thanx 502 :) You're such a doll!

Just what I was thinking, couple more cories. I'm getting the 10 gal holding, medication, every other thing tank, today, so I'll be adding soon. The cories are so cool :!: They're like little rockets.

Heh, if i went by that inch of fish minus tale rule...I'd still have room for more fish in my tank, and THATS a scary thought!

*daydreaming about bigger tanks....*

(and in regards to the topic of the thread...you are so welcome! I got a lot of good help when I first showed up 'round here, so I figured the best way to return the favor is offer my experience when I can!)

Back
Top Bottom