Thanx For The Help Every One - However R.I.P Pufferfish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thank yuo to every one who tryed to help me today!
I noticed th strange behaviour of my male pufferfish so i took the male and female to my local store to be checked out. The two experts there told me something was wrong just not visible to the human eye. They thought that the female have been stressing the male out i.e. to breed as they were a breeding pair. So I seperated them today and the male seemed to recover, However the female is now dead. I am quite upset because I became really attached to these little characters however they had a long life and were extremely looked after. I think the cause of death for the female may be a disease which is not visible to the human eye, old age, or stress from the male and vice versa. The male is still alive but not doing to well. I am going to sell my male tomorow and purchase a smaller pair that have just come into my local store. I will get these new pair to spawn just like the ones I had. As the ones I am getting are very young I can keep them in my 2 foot as they are so small and I will be able to enjoy there company for a very long time.

Yours greatfully

S.Askham

sorry for your loss! That happened to me with my breeding pair of German Blue Rams. Don't get too down on yourself, mystery deaths are always the worst though. :(

Thank you, however I know its bad but atleast there is a new pair that I can get tomorow, A new challenge.

3 foot is a 36, 12, 18 inches and my 2 foot is 24, 12, 16 inches (I think) I am not sure on gals.

I believe the same thing happened to Pufferpack's fish. One eventually killed/harassed the other. They should not be kept together, except for spawning--then seperated immediately, leaving the male to care for the young. As soon as they are able to eat on their own, they must be seperated from the male & then from each other. Many, many, multiple tanks are necessary for sucessful breeding & raising of fry.

I am getting 2 new young ones that are not a breeding pair yet!
I will have two tanks fully matured so I am going to try it again 8)

Steven_Askham said:
I am getting 2 new young ones that are not a breeding pair yet!
I will have two tanks fully matured so I am going to try it again 8)

I hope you have received all the information you need to become a great success (y)

Hi again, Just thought I would let use all know I just bought the small ones, they are tiny, and a bag of bones. I am sure that i can solve this lol. What helps a fish grow apart from food (high protein) and water changes. Or is that all I can do.
Hopefully I will be able to get these fish to pair of when they grow up a little bit more. I will try to post pics once they are settled.

Getting them to eat well is going to be the key, but there is a good chance they have some internal parasites. You might want to consider treating them for that right off the bat as a prophylactic measure.

Other than that, a high quality varied diet and pristine water conditions are what you will need.

Best of luck!

Well together for now, as it is a large tank considering there size but if they get violent one will be living in a 2 foot and the other in the 3 foot until they grow so I can try to pair them off. Dont worry I am am listening to all your interesting information pufferpunk. 8)

A tank divider could come in handy.

Don't forget to read Pufferpunk's article on trimming puffer teeth in the recent issue of TFH. :D

I have found that with these nocturnal puffer species, all of the damage--bullying, nipping, maiming, killing, is done by them at night when there is no one watching. They are seemingly innocent at daytime. Take my word for it... They are not to be trusted.

Also, according to the Puffer List: "They do best when kept as solitary specimens in a tank. Generally, they do not tolerate other puffers in the same tank, especially puffers of the same species."

Have you written an article for a magazine pufferpunk ?

Back
Top Bottom