That dang brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It is in my 10 gal tank on the decor and now showing up on my gravel. Is there anything I can put in there to help clean it up? I know it is not bad but it looks ugly.

Calypso77 said:
It is in my 10 gal tank on the decor and now showing up on my gravel. Is there anything I can put in there to help clean it up? I know it is not bad but it looks ugly.

How old is the tank?

Brown algae or diatoms are seen in newer tanks or tanks that have silicates somewhere within them.

Usually subside on there own. If your tank is older than 6 months it could be coming from either your source water or your substrate.

Do you happen to have sand substrate?

Jon

I have the same issue. My 75 gallon has had brown algae since June :( It's not going anywhere fast. My 28 gallon seems to be past that stage and our 10 gallon is just getting it.

It irritates me too! Good Luck!

Tank is not old just set it up in August. Last month when we fishless cycled it, it was covered in it so we emptied and totally cleaned it but now it is starting to rear its ugly head again a month later.

Calypso77 said:
Tank is not old just set it up in August. Last month when we fishless cycled it, it was covered in it so we emptied and totally cleaned it but now it is starting to rear its ugly head again a month later.

It took my tank around 4 months to clear of them. Once all the silicates get used up they will clear unless your source water has any silicates.

Jon

If you don't have a planted tank you can put a phosphate remover in you filter. Phosphate removers also remove silicates.

I have a plant in the but it's fake. This phosphate remover isn't harmful to fish?

Calypso77 said:
I have a plant in the but it's fake. This phosphate remover isn't harmful to fish?

No phosphate removers are NOT harmful to your fish.

You can get phosphate absorbing sponges or media to place in mesh bags within your filter.

I used to run SERA PHOSVEC in mine but it was having a negative impact on my plants as it was removing all the phosphates my plants needed.

Jon

As mentioned it's caused by silicates in your water. By removing all the water and adding fresh water all you did was re-add silicates.

You can wipe it off of things and eventually it will go away on it's own. Usually about 6-9 months. Though if you have to do a large water change this can bring a rise in silicates which can again spur a growth in diatoms.

As mentioned you can use phosphate removers so long as you don't have live plants but it will clear up on it's own eventually.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all of your help and advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom