the 46 gallon bow is at my wal-mart now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christerrell2k3

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just dont know, im torn between that deal with stand/hood/tank/heater/filter for $189 or just a 75 rectangle that is used... ahh... i wish i could have both hehehe.... ah well, i shall see what happens tommorow, never-the-less im coming home with a new tank damnit!

Who has gotten the deal from wal-mart? - and comments on that tank?

My WalMart is so crappy. I went looking for that 46 bow that you all keep talking about, but all they had was a sad looking 55...

I think freshwatergal picked up the 46 from WalMart...

I try to avoid Wal Mart myself, but if they undercut everyone by 50%, it is hard to justify NOT going to Wal Mart. This bow front setup is a steal! When I got my bow front tank, it was $80 for the tank, $85 for a glass top and light, and $180 just for the stand. And that was just for a 26g 8O

Kinda sad really, if Wal Mart decided to really start pushing fishkeeping hardware and stocking in demand items like these, many, if not most, small fish stores would close down. Some will say, "Well if you can not compete with the prices, too bad", but keeping live animals is more than about saving a few $$$. And to put it quite simply, in almost every instance Wal Mart is not going to be there after the sale to help people with their tanks. No Wal Mart around me can even keep fish alive in the display tanks.

Sigh. The timeless debate between corporate capitalism and momandpopism...

How much for the used 75, Chris?? Check out the WalMart deal and let us know what filter you're getting with it, and what kind of stand etc. You should be 100% sure they're not trying to rip you off (most package deals try to sell off some less-good parts). Chances are that this is a pretty sweet deal, but I imagine they're including an Aquaclear or Whisper filter with the tank, am I right? Not the best filter if so... But if they're giving you a penguin/emperor I won't complain. Just consider all the potential problems of the walmart deal before going through with it!

On the whole, $189 for all that sounds like a very good deal!

I bought the 46 gal, it does not come with a heater or filter. it is just the tank, glass top, light, and stand. It is a glass tank. I think it was a perfecto tank. It came with a 5 year warranty. and yes if you have a problem (other than initial setup leaks and such), you do have to go to the manufacture. I am pleased with mine and if I thought I could get it in the house with out getting shot (with my own gun mind you), I'd buy another. :lol:

Bare in mind that the lights it comes with will probably never be that great if you want to grow plants. None of the standard come with the tank hoods ever have enough light. So if you think you might want a setup that would require lots of light then I would go with the used 75 gallon and slwoly build up a great kit for it.

I got the 46 gal bowfront from wal-mart and I love it. It's an awesome deal!! I've priced tanks at other lfs and they are outragous. Yes it may come with all the standard stuff, but you can always upgrade. IMO, tanks at wal-mart are just as good as tanks anywhere else. It is an "All Glass" tank, just like all the tanks at the lfs. Don't let the deal pass you by!! :wink:

Mine too. I bought a day-glo green plant, and it glows during the day. I have to get some pics up...LOL.

Edit: Mine didn't come with heater or filter, but luckily my lfs was having a sale on the penguin, so that's what I got. If you check out bigal's.com you can find that same filter for like $15 cheaper, I ordered another one from them for my puffer tank. It has the bio-wheel on it. I also like how on the tank the sealant color is black. That way if you ever do have to treat with meds, it won't make it blue or some other color. I thought it was an awesome deal, and if I had the room I would buy another...LOL

Just some things to think about christerrell2k3:

46g: Brand new, warranty, comes with all the bits. But smaller.

75g: Larger, can fit more fish, but used and no guarantees and no bits included (so far as we know).

Sure the light is fine on the Bowfront (and I am not saying the tank itself is bad) but all tank kits come with poor lighting when it comes to growing plants. 30 watts for a 46 gallon tank is less than 1 watt per gallon and for many plants you need at least 2 to 3 watts per gallon.

As long as the glass on the used tank is good and not chipped or cracked then it will be fine. Do a test fill outdorrs if possible (if you get it that is) and if it doesn't leak it will be fine. If it does leak it is just a matter of getting some new silicone sealer from the LFS.

I'd get the 75. You got more options, and you won't have any concerns of the bow front possibly warping the view of your fish.

And I just don't trust Walmart on fish supplies. Someone found one that was selling All-glass aquariums, which I'd break down and buy from them, but not necessarily Perfecto. I believe Petsmart's 'Top fin" tanks are technically Perfecto as well, but it is now my policy to avoid any larger 'mass produced' tanks that aren't Oceanic or All-glass. There is an major difference in the thickness of glass in my 90 gallon All-glass and my 75 gallon "Top Fin".. Granted the 75 has a tempered bottom. I'll buy tanks under 29 gallons from Perfecto / Top Fin, but then I look for All Glass and Oceanic.

well, our walmart has included the aqua-tech 30-60 filter, and the 30-60 Aqua-tech heater, which is all exclusive with the combo. its amazing that the other wal-marts are not including this.

Im going to take a look at the 75 today, i called yesterday and she didnt really know what i was talking about, and she didnt know the filter... so this can work for me both ways... and screw me both ways... she wants 180$ for the tank and equipment.. no stand.... im taking 150$ with me... and thats what i plan on offering... i hope im a smooth operator. If not, there is a 55 gallon for sale, everything including a stand, heater,etc. and some danios to go with it.. although i would have no room for them... all well, im going to go check out the 75. ill keep ya posted. Thanks for all the info and help from yall guys, i really appreciate it.

Oh, geez. Now I gotta go over to Walmart. I have decided not to put Brichardi in my 44 with my shelldwellers (when I get them - they are still too small to travel) but I still want Brichardi in a bad way, and a 46 gal bow would be so nice. It would be a biotope so no need for nifty lights, either. I have a spare Penguin 330 sitting around, too. Oh, geez....how'm I gonna 'splain this?

That aqua-tech filter would really be the minimum for that tank, depending of course on your fish load. But once you start gettign intot he 40 and 50 sizes you should start thinking canister, or combo.

well went and saw the 75 gallon... what a piece of crap... it had no hood... wrong light fixtures.. and the worst of all it was a nastiest looking filter i have ever seen... dried up algea that was prolly atleast a couple years old... ah the terror. Well im off to check out a 55gal with everything including some Danios. So, just waiting back on their call...

freshwatergal said:
Mine too. I bought a day-glo green plant, and it glows during the day. I have to get some pics up...LOL.

Huh, what are day-glo plants? Oh wait, you mean a fake plant, right?

freshwatergal wrote:

Huh, what are day-glo plants? Oh wait, you mean a fake plant, right?

^^its a type of plant i think^^

Back
Top Bottom