Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The amazing disappearing loach

Yesterday I moved my fish from the old, small tank to their new larger home.
All went well till I realised that I could not find my little loach. I don't know what kind he is - about 2 inches long, thinner than a pencil and dark brown. Sort of like a little snake with whiskers.

He was gone like a scone.

I looked inside the filter, took all the plants and other decorations out. I find it hard to believe that he would be under the gravel as in that old tank, the gravel is large and sharp

I finally gave up -- and this morning, there he was, back again! He looks a little stressed, swimming around a lot. I can only move him to the new tank this evening when I get home so I hope he settles down a bit.

I think he might have hidden at the top of the filter, where the motor is Its a Fluval sponge filter.

If I can, I'll get him some companions.

Anyhoo, just wanted to share my amazement

Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try and move him in when the lights go off in the new tank. If he is getting stressed then showing up in the new tank when all the orher fish have had time to stake out there new areas in the tank could stress him even more. Fish can be pretty territorial at times.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Btw he's a Black Kuhli Loach
Pangio oblonga
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-oblonga
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Btw he's a Black Kuhli Loach
Pangio oblonga
Pangio oblonga — Loaches Online
That's him!
I've had him for quite a long time - several years - so I'm pleased he's still around. In fact, for several months I thought I lost him as I never saw him at all.

Brad, thanks for the tip. I've left the lights out in the new tank as I read somewhere that is better for fish who've just been moved? I'll certainly move him asap now. I hope things will be ok. There are lots of places for him to hide in the new tank!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good deal. So what size did you use what size did you upgrade to and why did you upgrade your tank? Randomly curious
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My old tank was about 8 gallons (30 liters) - my new tank is 23 gallons (90 liters)

I did not really know what I was doing with the old tank, although I kept it going for about 5 years without any major mishaps.

New tank has much nicer gravel - some sand, some small round pebbles. Quite a lot of java fern and java moss. Driftwood. Lowish light (I hope it's lowish light as I'm not ready for missioning around with CO2)

My fish look so much happier in the new tank - I did not realise how cramped they were before.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's a khuli loach... get some more! The more the merrier.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd love to get some more. I've read they like to be together. Problem is the shop I got him from no longer stock them so I'm going to have to go on a "loach hunt" further afield
Old 10-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

...mission accomplished. Loach is in the new tank. He has gone to ground, I probably wont see him for a month now
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice. Im glad your tank upgrade is going well so far. How are your water levels? Is the biofilter set up in the new tank
Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you need some more kuhlis!! They like to be in groups. Yours is hiding so much because he is kept alone. If you get 5 or so more they will be much more outgoing and playful. There is someone selling 17 of them in the classifieds.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see mine out and about all the time.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
Nice. Im glad your tank upgrade is going well so far. How are your water levels? Is the biofilter set up in the new tank
Yes, tank is cycled and levels are good. Ammo and nitrite 0 and nitrate very low.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
Yes you need some more kuhlis!! They like to be in groups. Yours is hiding so much because he is kept alone. If you get 5 or so more they will be much more outgoing and playful. There is someone selling 17 of them in the classifieds.
I doubt I'll be able to take advantage of that? All the way out here in Cape Town I found a shop that says they can order some for me so maybe that will work out.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #15

You think that's bad ? Try when you have a undergravel filter and its missing a plug on one of the holes... I had a clown loach go in there... and I had to lift the whole UGF up to get him out... lol
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynicole View Post
I see mine out and about all the time.
Yep- I'm hoping he'll appear more as he gets used to the new tank
Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
You think that's bad ? Try when you have a undergravel filter and its missing a plug on one of the holes... I had a clown loach go in there... and I had to lift the whole UGF up to get him out... lol
Ouch. That must have been messy. Do people still use UGFs? It's been years since I've seen one.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post

Ouch. That must have been messy. Do people still use UGFs? It's been years since I've seen one.
Ugf's are highly under rated. I thought it was a poor mans filter for the longest time. You would be shocked how much crap gets to the bottom of the tank without the waterflow of a ugf. A ugf will be installed in every tank I build moving forward as well as your normal sump or hand over filter system. Its the best way to get all the debris out of your tank since you cant vaccum under decor.

If your not running a bare bottom tank I highly recommend installing one with your current filter system.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did not realise that about UGFs

Just been giving my old tank a thorough clean and there was a lot of gumpf in the gravel, as you say.

Well, little loach out and about this morning so I hope that's a good sign
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
Ugf's are highly under rated. I thought it was a poor mans filter for the longest time. You would be shocked how much crap gets to the bottom of the tank without the waterflow of a ugf. A ugf will be installed in every tank I build moving forward as well as your normal sump or hand over filter system. Its the best way to get all the debris out of your tank since you cant vaccum under decor.

If your not running a bare bottom tank I highly recommend installing one with your current filter system.

I have had a UGF in my 27g and 30g for 20 years, but that's because we thought they were needed.. I recently like 2-3 weeks ago took the one out of my 27g hex because I changed my substrate to Floramax and I add'd live plants like 3 months ago and I didn't want it to get in the way even though they seemed to be growing fine with the UGF..

Tags
app, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com