The bigger the better? + other Qs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haven't been on here in a while.

I recently discovered that maintaining my 36gal is much easier than my 20gal. Is size that important, when it comes down to it, that bigger tanks are easier to maintain?

In other questions: I'm finally getting sick of my HOB filter on the 36gal. It pumps more than adequately, but the trickling of water that once didn't bother me, drives me up the wall. It doesn't help that I have no extra parts for it either. That being said, I'm thinking of transitioning to a new canister filter. Any sort of protocol for switching filters? I'm thinking of hooking the canister up and let it filter along with the HOB for about a month. I was also thinking of maybe putting the HOB on a timer so that at designated times, the HOB would stop completely, and leave the filtering to the canister. Thoughts?

I did almost the exact same thing, 29g started with a small HOB too loud too small almost no bio, put a canister on beside the HOB for a few weeks before pulling it. After that I had the HOB with floss only on with the light timer and that stopped all the crazy noise at night. is it right ???

I did almost the exact same thing, 29g started with a small HOB too loud too small almost no bio, put a canister on beside the HOB for a few weeks before pulling it. After that I had the HOB with floss only on with the light timer and that stopped all the crazy noise at night. is it right ???

That sounds exactly like my plan- time the timer that the HOB would turn off for the night, and around 7-8am, have it kick back on for about 10-12 hours.

Back
Top Bottom