The Bullies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Everyone that is experienced in the aquarium indistury has had experiences with fish that are just big bullies. I figured i would post a thread so people could share there experiences of there own bully fish and what they did about it.

added guppies in community that had some gambusia. not pretty.
solution: remove gambusia until guppies are settled and comfy. stress out gambusia by shaking around temporary hosting container(just joking!)
result: less dominant gam. and more comfy guppies. never a problem since

I had some bullying issues with my guppies actually. The tequila sunrise guppies would bully my other guppies. I added more java moss and hiding spots but nothing seemed to help. The tequila's would pick at the others tails, causing them to split and tear. I ended up separating the tequila's and eventually gave them away to a guy on this site.

I once had a 6 inch firemouth kill an 8 inch sailfin pleco. Not at all what I expected to happen! I think the pleco was slowly harrassed to death, and being a relative noob at the time, I didn't catch it until it was too late. I never replaced the pleco, and the FM and other cichlids tolerated each other from then on.

Our female blue betta. She has killed to date: 2 female bettas, 2 julii corys, 4 otos, 2 mystery snails and tried to get at the male that's in the other half of the divided 5.5g.

I don't think we're gonna try breeding this pair. *lol*

#1 Dragonfish71 your betta has some serious PMS issues.
#2 i so wasent expecting you guys to give me stories about guppies. I mean come on, there guppies.

I kept five female bettas in my 55-gallon livebearer tank. They ate the fry and kept the population in check. Everyone got along fine except for my blue betta. She bullied everyone and everything. If I had my hand over the tank to feed the fish, she'd literally jump out of the water and bite me. Any time I introduced new fish, she would chase them around the tank. To combat her aggression, I frequently changed the layout of the tank to keep her from establishing any territories. I also would put her in a breeding net when I introduced new fish. She was going to go into a new tank, but my bedroom overheated at the beginning of the summer and took out most of my fish, including her and all my other female bettas. :( She was funny though.

jack dempsey. i was complete noobert and put him in a 20 gallon with some barbs. yep you can guess wat happened lol.... after 5 months he had racked up 7 fish. i moved him to a 90 gallon where he is Boss, even though he is the smallest

The wife wanted some glowlight danios in a 5 gallon. We got 3 of them and one of the killed the other 2. Got a 29 and put him in there with 4 Glowlight Tetras. He kept picking on them so I got 4 more. He still didn't lay off. Got rid of the danio...

I had a mayan cichlid once when i didnt know anything about them and i put a small kribinsis in with him and he hunted that sucker down. I also had a small pleco with him and he ripped his fins apart. Right now he is in my backyard in a poond and the pleco still has scars from when he was with the mayan cichlid. Mayan cichlids are ridiculous when it comes to there aggression.

I have one of the purple "Jewel cichlids" from Petsmart and its like 4 inches and its murdered to date: 2 Oscars and a Jack Dempsey....it keeps attacking my Pleco's tail and it runs the other fish from the bottom of the aquarium

Yes, these fish weren't exactly compatible; however, they lead me to believe they could co-exist for a while before all **** broke loose.

Dude. Thats insane. It beat the crap out of 2 oscars and a JD. That jeweled cichlid has been playing too many halo games.

Back
Top Bottom