The Desacrator's Question Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll post all my questions in one thread the clean it up so I don't have to make like a millions threads. Check back often if you'd like to help +)

Current:

1. Answered
2. Answered
3. Answered
4. Answered
5. Answered
6. Answered
7. Answered

8. Is 1 Bolivian Ram ok or are two males together ok? Will they get agressive and kill my fish even if there are no females?

Answer:
Contributors:

9. What do Cory Catfish eat(spotted)?

Answer:
Contributors:

Answer:
Contributors:

Past:

1.What happens if my ph is too high/low. I was told that those PH changers were too dangerous. I am considering getting all angelfish and they like 5.8 7.0. What if my ph is too high how can I fix it?

Answer:You can't change the pH. Not too big of a deal. Fish get used to it.
Contributors: logansmomma1228, mctypething

2. If i throw in a small angel will it be ok with a one or multiple big angelfish?

Answer: An ok idea
Contributors: meegosh, mctypething

3. Can I feed my angels frozen bloodworms? they come in like these square chunks. cut them in half maybe?

Answer: Yes
Contributors: liveaquaria.com

4. Can I feed them blocks that are cut up, becasue the blocks are the size of my pinky.

Answer: Yes, thaw first, use a fork to feed
Contributors: meegosh

5. Will plecos eat angelfish fry/eggs?

Answer: Eggs yes, fry no.
Contributors: meegosh

6. What is drip acclimation.

Answer: How to Acclimate Your Fish to Your Aquarium - Drip Method | eHow.com
Contributors: logansmomma1228, meegosh

7. Should I put the filter in my turtle tank(2 baby sized red eared sliders) into my fish tank to accelerate the cycle? If so, for how long and details on this would be nice.

Answer: Yup
Contributors: Crepe, mattrox

100.(Template)

Answer:
Contributors:

You can't change the pH. You can adjust it but the natural buffers in the water will bring it right back to where it is. Most fish can adjust to the pH in your water if you drip acclimate them. Some super sensitive types like discus are a little harder to adjust though. I have also heard about driftwood helping to lower pH but I am not sure on all that.

1.) What is your pH? More often than not a stable pH is better than one you keep messing with to achieve that "perfect" pH level.

2.) Most people recommend adding angels at the same time, when they are young. This way you don't have one large angel that is bullying the rest.

3.) Yes, I feed my angel and other tank mates a square about every week. I thaw it in a cup of water and use a fork to scoop some out and add them to the tank. This allows the fish to catch them before they become trapped in my plants or rocks.

4.) Feed them blocks of what? Are you talking about the frozen bloodworms? Yes, you can cut them or see answer to #3.

1) Not an expert here, but I think too much is made of pH. Personally, I don't have a clue what the pH of my water is, and my tank is thriving. Just my $.02.

2) I have three angelfish in my tank. Two of them were introduced at the same time but the third was brought in when the other two had grown much larger. I have not had any issues with agression towards the small angel. The two larger angels sometimes fin nip toward each other, but they leave the small one alone.

3 and 4) You'll want to defrost the bloodworms before putting them in the tank. My process is to put the frozen block in a small kitchen strainer and let it air defrost for about 15 minutes. Then, I get some aquarium water and let it drip on the block and that allows it to completely defrost. Then, I use a spoon to gradually feed the bloodworms to the fish, taking precaution to make sure the angels don't take them all.

If you just drop the whole block in, most of it will get sucked into the filter and/or you won't be able to evenly distribute the food to all the fish.

Thanks guys. I don't know the ph because I don't have a testing kit yet. What does drip acclimate them mean?

And yes i meant the blocks.

Drip acclimation is a process for acclimating your fish. Basically you use a piece of airline tubing and start a flow of water from your tank into the bag/bucket your new fish is in. You can use a knot or clothespin to adjust the drip out the end of the tubing. It slowly changes the water chemistry to get the fish adjusted to its new water parameters.

I've seen a lot of plecos eating eggs but I've never seen them catch a fry.

Yes you can use your turtle's filter. In fact, the bacteria there are probably used to handling the high ammonia/protein waste of the turtles.

Why don't you use some media from your turtle's filter. Eg squeeze out the 'turtle" sponge into your fish's filter. (Or into the tank and let the filter clean it up) Don't fill your filter completely with muck though.

Thanks

I can't edit my first post.

My next question is though, Do I need a heater? Because I had two and they both broke. the main must have broke like yesterday before 9pm and the backup broke about 2 minutes into the tank. Aqueon and Neptune are the brands. My tank is currently 83 or so and I havent had a heater in almost 24 hours.

Why is the tank so warm? 83*F seems a bit warm. You will need a heater - A cool night can drop the temp in the tank considerably if you don't have a heater.

I can't control the heat. maybe the thermometer is abosrbing heal from my turtle tank light or my room light(which gets pretty dang hot), idk?

My tank is anywhere from 82-86 in the course of a day. Still need to figure out an affordable way to cool it... Probably going to run 2x clip on fans over it.

Back
Top Bottom