The Diatoms Persist...Please Advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Diatoms Have Gotten Worse...Suggestions?

The diatoms which have been consuming one of the ornaments in my tank (you have all seen the photos) have seemingly grown completely out of control now -- they're all over both sails of the shipwreck ornament and it looks really bad...

I was being told that these go away over time on their own, but they have gone the other way (just like everything else that happens in my tank) in that they're growing like wildfire -- at this point, should I replace the ornament with an identical one? They're still available at my LFS...will the diatoms eventually reduce and disappear?

The only time I'd had problems with algae growing over everything was just after I'd uprated my lighting. What sort of lighting do you have in your tank (wattage and type of bulbs, daylight / tropical?) and how long do you leave the lighting on for?

From what I remember your ornament has some sort of fabric on it? That's always going to stain in a fish tank, so maybe replacing the ornament is a plan, but not with an identical one!

The only time I'd had problems with algae growing over everything was just after I'd uprated my lighting. What sort of lighting do you have in your tank (wattage and type of bulbs, daylight / tropical?) and how long do you leave the lighting on for?

From what I remember your ornament has some sort of fabric on it? That's always going to stain in a fish tank, so maybe replacing the ornament is a plan, but not with an identical one!

Mark,

The diatoms are actually spreading to grow on the skull ornament now...as for lighting, I don't know the exact specs, but I'm running an Aqueon fluorescent strip light...

Have you tried blacking out your tank for a few days? Without light they will not be able to grow.

Funny you mentioned this, icey...I just posted a thread about my last water change nightmare, and because one of my glass versa tops cracked, I can't put my light strip above the tank anyway -- however, I had read that diatoms actually will thrive without the light...is this so?

They have grown on my skull ornament now, as well as on my AquaClear 110's intake strainer...

Is this Aqueon strip light just a single T12 or T8 bulb? If so, it's probably not enough light for algae and plants to compete for nutrients in the tank, especially if its a new tank. I haven't seen your pics, btw. Did google for this type of tank to figure out what size it is, and you're all over the net! Hope someone out there has the solution.

Is this Aqueon strip light just a single T12 or T8 bulb? If so, it's probably not enough light for algae and plants to compete for nutrients in the tank, especially if its a new tank.

It's a single strip. I don't have a planted tank; they're plastic.

I haven't seen your pics, btw. Did google for this type of tank to figure out what size it is, and you're all over the net! Hope someone out there has the solution.

What?

Here are the pics, anyway (the diatoms have gotten MUCH worse since this):

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 90
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 86
The snails should be fine with the fish. You might be able to find some for free, then you wouldn't be out any money if they DID eat them.

After doing some research for you have you considered buying a few Otocinclus. I love the little guys and they keep my tank nice and clean and I read they love brown algee.

At this point it may just be moot because the diatoms are getting all over everything -- the skull ornament, the sails, the AquaClear's intake strainer...

I don't think a catfish is gonna solve it...

They are the strongest algee eaters on the planet. 3 or so may love your tank. I ve read stories of them eating 90% of the diatoms over night. They are not very expensive and you dont have much to lose by giving them a try.

Back
Top Bottom