The filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpr233

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys I have a 72 gal planted tank. I set it two and half month ago. The intake and the spray bar hoses are dirty. Il looks like algae or waste stock in them.

How long do I have to wait to make the first filter cleaning?

I have noticed that the algae is coming to the tank faster. Is hoses the reason for the algae??

Thx for the help!

Yes it is already cycled. About 30 small fish. Two clams and 2 snails

Ok, you can clean your filter when you do your weekly water change, use the water you take out and rinse off the filter media, do not use tap water to clean them. If you are getting a lot of algae, you may need to check your lighting. you should only be lighting your tank 6 to 8 hours a day. Do you have any algae eaters in your tank? I have a 55 gal and I keep 2 otos in mine and I never have a problem with algae. Hope this helped.

What kind of filter do you have? I have a moderately planted 72 as well. What lighting do you have on your tank and what does the algae look like? What type of substrate do yo have? How many fish? How often do you feed them?

I feed my fish once a day. Lighting Is a 10k two 6500k and 5500k. I have about 40 small fish. No co2 is injected. Only ferts

How many watts are the bulbs and how many are there? It sounds like you have a lot of lighting for the tank. You have to remember that by adding ferts you are also feeding the algae. Adding co2 will help the plants out compete the algae for nutrients. Just by feeding fish you are adding nutrients and a form of ammonia that plants take directly from the water, after the food and detritus break down. That is one way plants help balance a tank. If you have no co2, too much light and no clean up crew you are providing an ideal environment for algae to flourish. A clean up crew can include a pleco, various freshwater shrimp, snails and some cories. What does the algae actually look like?

The algae is green dots all over the melon swords and amazon sword

I had a bad case of it after I got my tank set up until I got everything balanced out like it should be, I went and got 2 little otos and they went to town on my tank. They keep it spotless now and are a real join to watch bounce from leaf to leaf then the rocks and over to the glass. Busy little beavers.

My cleaning crew is 4 otos, 6 Siamese algae eater, 2 zebra snails, 3 corys, 1 small pleco (forgot his name). I really don't know why the algae is coming that fast. Is 10 hours too much for lighting??

Yes, 10 hours is too much. You should light your tank no more then 6 to 8 hours a day. I ha a real problem with that cause I'm retired and am at home all day with my fish and I love to sit there and watch them, but now the lights are out until 2 in the afternoon then off at 10. I miss seeing my little friends.

Steelhawke said:
Yes, 10 hours is too much. You should light your tank no more then 6 to 8 hours a day. I ha a real problem with that cause I'm retired and am at home all day with my fish and I love to sit there and watch them, but now the lights are out until 2 in the afternoon then off at 10. I miss seeing my little friends.

I will respectfully disagree. I have my light on for a full 12 hour cycle and have basically no algae. It depends on the particular bulbs being used as well as the nutrient balance in the water and clean up crew. While lessening the length of time the light is on, this I just a quick fix, not a solution, such as either lowering the actual amount of light, or adding a Co2 system

Ok, not going to argue about lighting, I'm sure mine sucks. But I do use a co2 system. But as a general rule, most people will tell you 6-8 hours. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom