The fish have been keeping me busy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QTOFFER

Aquarium Advice Addict
A long post about a busy couple of days...

It started two days ago, when I finally got fed up with looking at my algae encrusted 15 gal divided betta tank. I haven't had much luck with this tank, having lost three bettas suddenly to dropsy or fungus, despite the apparent good health of their cory tankmates. In addition, this tank has been plagued with several different types of algae. Gravel vacs twice a week have had no effect. I think that the reduced circulation between the divided compartments, coupled with the so-so performance of the sponge filters were to blame.

Two days ago, I moved the tank's occupants (a betta and four corys) into a 5 gal bucket containing a heater, two sponge filters, and a few clumps of Java moss. I'm thinking of either putting them into my 10 gallon tank with my Brian NY ancistrus, or putting them by themselves into the 7 gal bowfront.

I drained the 15 gal tank, removed the dividers, and scrubbed everything with warm water. I've decided to make this a lo-lite planted community tank and I planned to use a Penguin Mini filter. However, with the Penguin filter in place, the tank stuck out further from the wall and hung over the edge of my stand by 1-1/2 inches. Aaaaaagh! So, early yesterday morning, I went to Home Depot and picked up a 3/4 inch thick pine tabletop. I cut it to size, stained it, slapped on two coats of poly, and bolted it right on top of the existing tank stand top.

I just finished placing the tank in position and filling it up with water. I'm going to do a fishless cycle - to speed things up, I will seed the tank with the previously used sponge filters and Java moss. I've already purchased the tank's new inhabitants (six baby tiger barbs and a juvenile bushy-nosed plec. They are in the quarrantine tank for three weeks.

:D Sounds like you have your act together!!!!!!!!

QTOFFER, I'm sorry to hear about the bettas too. :cry: I think you're right about blaming the tank's problems on the divider and the circulation issues. I had a divided 5.5 gallon tank for a few months (a few years ago) when I decided that I was going to remove the divider and get another tank. It sounds like your plans for the 15 gallon tank are going to work out great! (maybe we've started a new species name here...BrianNY ancistrus :wink: )

I too just gave up on my divided tank. For some reason, I just can't get the algae under control in this tank, and it always looks terrible. The divider makes it very hard for me to clean.

I took my betta out of there because the current was driving him crazy. He didn't like my removing the divider (even though he had the whole tank to himself) because of that current. He looked like he was struggling to move.

I took him out and put him in his betta cup, and then thinking I would take care of him today, I put my 8 swordtail fry which are growing up quick in the 10 gallon. I completely forgot that today is Thanksgiving and nobody is open for me to take of the betta and the chinese algae eater! I have been considering taking them back to the LFS because I don't have anywhere to put them now...but now I am halfways considering getting him a 5 gallon tank and keeping him.

Anyway, my point is that my divided tank didn't work out, and now I may have to get another tank if I want to keep all my fish! Grrr.. :)

Paul

PS - Saw a 55 gallon setup (tank, stand, full hood) at Wal-Mart for $198!!! Drooled but just don't have room for it.

Back
Top Bottom