The L46 Zebra Pleco (Hypancistrus zebra)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
First of all, no I do not have any. :ROFLMAO: But I'd still like to discuss this beautiful pleco. There's an auction on ebay right now for a group of five. If I had the money, BELIEVE me I would get them. I've read that breeding them is a challenge. Temp has to be exactly 85.7 deg F, caves parallel to the water current, clutch of only 10-15 eggs. PLUS the fry grow extremely slow, reaching adulthood in about four years. I would love that challenge. But still, they are GORGEOUS. I'm hoping more small time hobbyist breeders pick them up and get more into the trade. I'm hoping even more that they don't go extinct in the wild...

tumblr_lgzscyhlj41qbs5d3o1_500.jpg

I'm not a huge fan if plecos overall, I don't have any, yet anyway. However, zebras are probably one of the most beautiful fish. Their gorgeous! I'd LOVE to have one too if I had the money! Live aquaria sells them for $500 each! Always out of stock tho... $500 for a 4-5" fish that will hide most the time is just crazy. I really want one anyway haha.

JUST found some fry for sale on aquabid for $15 each. DANG! These fish don't ship well, so it's pick up only. I may have to make a weekend drive...

my bad- there's a reserve that's not yet met :p

They really need species tanks because they are outcompeted for food. I was gonna get one a while back but I didn't have intentions of breeding them and I didn't have a spare tank. And that's another thing, most breeders won't sell you them if you aren't going to breed them and meet all the requirements.

They really need species tanks because they are outcompeted for food. I was gonna get one a while back but I didn't have intentions of breeding them and I didn't have a spare tank. And that's another thing, most breeders won't sell you them if you aren't going to breed them and meet all the requirements.

I think it would be a waste to NOT breed them!

Back
Top Bottom