The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not adding anymore fish probably to the next weekend, not this one, so I have time to think it out

Ok, here is my current(sure) stock for now
6 tiger barbs
8 neon tetras
3 julii cories
2 German blue rams
I still need a centerpiece fish, would a golden gourami work?

I really wanted the barbs, but since I think it's for the best of the fish, I changed my stock with out the barbs :(
5 serpae tetras
5 red eye tetras
5 neon tetras
2 German blue rams
3 julii Cory's
3 otocinclus
2 dwarf gouramis

Ok, so today I added 5 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami, how does it look!
It is a male dwarf gourami, do you think I could add another male, or just keep it like that?

Attachments

• image-796154415.jpg
    image-796154415.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-598814471.jpg
    image-598814471.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3697972120.jpg
    image-3697972120.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 74
With my new fish, I have started a new stock list
1 maybe two dwarf gouramis
8 neon tetras
2 German blue rams
2 Bolivian rams
3 otocinclus
5 red eye tetras
2 honey gourami
How is this?

With my new fish, I have started a new stock list
1 maybe two dwarf gouramis
8 neon tetras
2 German blue rams
2 Bolivian rams
3 otocinclus
5 red eye tetras
2 honey gourami
How is this?

The gourami question is always a bit controversial with some saying only one ever in a tank and others saying they need to be with other gouramis. I have two dwarf gouramis in our tank and they're fine and happy together.
I have been told by several others that dwarf gourami and rams do not mix well. Also, bolivian rams are known to be hardier than the others that sometimes require quite specific ph parameters.
Just some things to think about...

i think that you should get the plants started. they're the first line of defense when it comes to introduction of new fish as they make the fish feel.safe and stay less stressed. the fish always come last when sett up a planyed tank cuz u try to avoid tear down the tank when you add more decor

My uncle has a tank with two dwarf gouramis, three honey gouramis, Bolivian rams and German blues, I'm asking if they will be ok, or I just shouldn't try it
So my tank is now officially a month old, can I go ahead and add my two Bolivian rams now, or should I wait
One of my main concerns is if the Bolivians and the German blues will fight, should I do one German and one Bolivian, I think that sounds nice

i think that you should get the plants started. they're the first line of defense when it comes to introduction of new fish as they make the fish feel.safe and stay less stressed. the fish always come last when sett up a planyed tank cuz u try to avoid tear down the tank when you add more decor

True, I am going to add the plants as soon as I can

Good point! Especially with the issues I spoke about regarding fish that may or may not live happily together. Having enough spots to hide and breaking lines of vision can make all the difference. Rams appreciate caves and gourami like planted.

My uncle has a tank with two dwarf gouramis, three honey gouramis, Bolivian rams and German blues, I'm asking if they will be ok, or I just shouldn't try it
So my tank is now officially a month old, can I go ahead and add my two Bolivian rams now, or should I wait
One of my main concerns is if the Bolivians and the German blues will fight, should I do one German and one Bolivian, I think that sounds nice

I think it is something to research a bit more. I have no experience with rams and gourami together but what I have been told, then verified with more research, made me pass on the idea of mixing them. There are other smaller peaceful cichlids, as well, but I only have experience with mixing kribs and gourami which, in my experience, has worked out well. You'll get a ton of conflicting reports on this. I think it essentially comes down to environment and the inividual temperaments of each fish.

I have a tree root piece that will make a decent cave, and I'm also adding some driftwood that looks like roots, so that is a pretty good cave
Ok, what do you think sounds better for the bottom
2 German blue ram
2 bolivian rams
Or
1 German blue ram
1 Bolivian ram
3 julii Cory's
Also, can I add the bolivian(s) next week end?

I actually have a 36 gallon tank with 2 female kribs, 2 GBRs, and 2 gold gouramis. They all get together great. I have a thread for it, you should check it out!

I think it is something to research a bit more. I have no experience with rams and gourami together but what I have been told, then verified with more research, made me pass on the idea of mixing them. There are other smaller peaceful cichlids, as well, but I only have experience with mixing kribs and gourami which, in my experience, has worked out well. You'll get a ton of conflicting reports on this. I think it essentially comes down to environment and the inividual temperaments of each fish.

True, I can just experiment with it

Back
Top Bottom