The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will one be ok in my tank?

here's the honest truth loachboy: i have a feeling that this is your first freshwater planted tank. You have so many things to juggle with already. The aquascaping is not complete and the fish have not settled down yet. Aquascaping is one of those things that will take you some time to juggle your mind with and only time and experience will teach you anything about this particular subject, not to mention that it's the MOST important factor in a good tank. As for now, i would leave the catfish alone, even for a little bit. My experience is telling me that you should, before getting anymore fish, get the aquascape down. The plants and driftwood will "shock" tank and it will take a few weeks for them to "settle down". Once you have everything ready, you can get the fish. Back to the original subject, yes you can get a juvenile catfish. Just have a back up plan later on down the road when it matures and need more wiggle room

Just a random thing about driftwood. I got some cool mopani wood for my tank from the dr fosters and smith site for a good price. Much cheaper than the local pet store here. The only bad thing is, you don't get to see what it will look like before you get it.

Just a random thing about driftwood. I got some cool mopani wood for my tank from the dr fosters and smith site for a good price. Much cheaper than the local pet store here. The only bad thing is, you don't get to see what it will look like before you get it.

I was about to say try dr foster and smith. To me it's a nicely priced and they have a little sale (think 20%?) off mopai right now.

Also loach, what happened to your Khulis?! I saw how you didn't list them in your current inhabitants.

Ok, so today, I actually went to petsmart, and looked at the fish for like an hour, and after thinking, and after all the employes asked me what I was doing there after 45 minutes :lol: I have come to a final stock for my tank, and here it is!
8 neon tetras
5 red eye tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 honey gouramis
4 kuhli loaches
1 German blue ram
1 Bolivian ram
3 otocinclus
How is this?

Ok, so today, I actually went to petsmart, and looked at the fish for like an hour, and after thinking, and after all the employes asked me what I was doing there after 45 minutes :lol: I have come to a final stock for my tank, and here it is!
8 neon tetras
5 red eye tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 honey gouramis
4 kuhli loaches
1 German blue ram
1 Bolivian ram
3 otocinclus
How is this?

Are you going to get different sexes of gouramis?

No, they will probably be all male petsmart has it labeled
Honey gourami(male). And I did not see any females

Yea, in the normal species
Dwarf gouramis are a lot calmer than the normal gouramis like the golden gourami, three spot gourami, opaline gourami
Dwarfs are calmer, may fight, but in rare occasions ( I'm still keeping my dwarf single)
Honey gouramis are even more peaceful, so two will do in a tank, especially if they come from the same tank in the store

I'd be more worried about the different gourami species fighting. Honeys are peaceful but they're still gouramis and I've read a lot of warnings about mixing different species although it can work.

Yea, in the normal species
Dwarf gouramis are a lot calmer than the normal gouramis like the golden gourami, three spot gourami, opaline gourami
Dwarfs are calmer, may fight, but in rare occasions ( I'm still keeping my dwarf single)
Honey gouramis are even more peaceful, so two will do in a tank, especially if they come from the same tank in the store

I would never go by if they come from the "they came from the same tank"..that means hardly anything unless they're maybe from a local breeder and not the fish farms that Petsmart and stuff use. (Not trying to sound rude or anything, just saying..lol) But I was just wondering about the gouramis.

And you don't want a pair of rams either? I didn't read the middle of the forum, so Idk what you all said about that.

Also, you're aware that those tetra will most likely not school together?

I'd be more worried about the different gourami species fighting. Honeys are peaceful but they're still gouramis and I've read a lot of warnings about mixing different species although it can work.

Again, same thing, if you mix golden gouramis with opaline, they will seriously fight, also like a opaline or golden with a dwarf, they will fight, dwarfs single and a pair of honeys will be ok, although many people have successfully kept opalines, dwarfs, goldens, giants, kissing successfully, but in big tanks, although I wouldn't risk that

Yea, I know that the neon tetras and the red eye tetras wont school together, I'm putting in 2 schools

I did want at first a pair of German blues, but then I saw that petsmart had Bolivian, and then I wanted a pair of Germans and a pair of Bolivians, but I'm putting in one German and one Bolivian in now

Seems like a lot of fish for a one month old aquarium

Back
Top Bottom