The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, my month is one month old, but it will probably take me another month to get the rest of my fish

Ok, so now I'm really in a controversy
Will one German blue ram and one bolivian ram be ok, or do they need to be in pairs?

My experience will male honey and dwarf gouramis is that they're ok together until they reach sexual maturity, then they start fighting and chasing each other. Just based on this I would not recommend more than one male gourami for a 29 gal for the long term.

Ok, so now I'm really in a controversy
Will one German blue ram and one bolivian ram be ok, or do they need to be in pairs?

They don't need to be in pairs and if you get 1 male and 1 female or both females they should be fine. My fear with rams in your tank is that since they can be sensitive to nitrate and other toxins and because you're going to fully stock your new tank that it may be difficult to keep them healthy. Nitrates build up quickly and parameter swings happen quickly in smaller tanks so if you get them be on top of water tests water changes and keep your nitrate levels low. This is another reason for you to build your aquascape more before adding more fish since plants if you're going to have them will help greatly with keeping everything in check

Yea, I'm halting fish for now and get my aquascaping done, could possibly take two or three weeks before I get fish again with the exception of the three neon tetras so that I can make 8

Ok, so today, I actually went to petsmart, and looked at the fish for like an hour, and after thinking, and after all the employes asked me what I was doing there after 45 minutes :lol: I have come to a final stock for my tank, and here it is!
8 neon tetras
5 red eye tetras
1 dwarf gourami
2 honey gouramis
4 kuhli loaches
1 German blue ram
1 Bolivian ram
3 otocinclus
How is this?

Ok, so apparently having two male honey gouramis is a bad idea, so I am substituting those two for two female bettas

Ok, so apparently having two male honey gouramis is a bad idea, so I am substituting those two for two female bettas

Yeah gouramis are suppose to be 2 girls for every guy. And I don't know about bettas with gouramis, even the gentle kind. Maybe cause they're female and less flowy it might work but I dunno. Glad to hear you kept your Khulis! I saw one hangin out by the dwarf gourami in the pic! Post pic when you finish your aquascaping!

Yeah gouramis are suppose to be 2 girls for every guy. And I don't know about bettas with gouramis, even the gentle kind. Maybe cause they're female and less flowy it might work but I dunno. Glad to hear you kept your Khulis! I saw one hangin out by the dwarf gourami in the pic! Post pic when you finish your aquascaping!

Thanks, I'll post a pic of it when I'm done

Betas will kill your cat fish, and any other actives swimmer of lesser or equal size to them.
I recommend you go with the sparkling gourami, they are the only gourami that dose well in groups, and they have a similar body shape to that of the betas
Here a pic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trichopsis_pumila.jpg

I haven't seen petsmart carry any sparkling gouramis
Are you sure female bettas will cause harm, I've seen them be kept with Cory's before?

You shouldn't keep less than 4 female bettas together. 90% of the time if you have two the dominant one will bully the submissive one to death. Females can be just as aggressive as males and even large sororities can crash and burn. You'd definitely have more luck with the honey gouramis than bettas

Man, ok, I need a fish sold at petsmart, a pair similar to a honey gourami, what do you advice?

I was about to say try dr foster and smith. To me it's a nicely priced and they have a little sale (think 20%?) off mopai right now.

Also loach, what happened to your Khulis?! I saw how you didn't list them in your current inhabitants.

Hey, about that website, how does it work, do you pay with a credit card, or do you pay when it gets here with cash?

Honestly I would just drop them and not add anything else. I don't think you'll miss them you're tank will be pretty busy already so I don't see them adding all that much. I wouldn't want to risk bullying and unhappy fish.

If you were desperate for the honeys which I understand because they're adorable I'd say drop the dwarf gourami but you've already got him. So I guess I'd just wait for another tank or if the dwarf dies (which I hope isn't anytime soon since you already lost your angel) to get them.

Back
Top Bottom