Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #441
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Man I'm getting the driftwood but its not really nice like that its boring but I need it for my bn pleco
I live in El Paso Texas
i would have more patience with the driftwood. although plecos like DW, it's not REQUIRED. you should find something both you and the fish will like.
__________________

__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #442
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Yea, I did want driftwood since the beginning but i didn't find the right one until now
__________________

__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #443
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok guys quick question about the flora max

I'm going to cover the whole bottom with 24 pounds of flora max, and I am going to leave a bit of blue gravel at the bottom but it will not be visible
I have some questions
1. Do you think that if I leave a bit of gravel on the bottom and add the 24 pounds of flora max, will that be enough substrate?

2. Do I need to wash the flora max to reduce my water from staining, it says its pre-washed

3. Do I need to take the carbon out of the filter media?, I have heard and read mixed answers

4. If I add the flora max do I need root tabs or plant food?
Thanks
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #444
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Ok guys quick question about the flora max

I'm going to cover the whole bottom with 24 pounds of flora max, and I am going to leave a bit of blue gravel at the bottom but it will not be visible
I have some questions
1. Do you think that if I leave a bit of gravel on the bottom and add the 24 pounds of flora max, will that be enough substrate?

2. Do I need to wash the flora max to reduce my water from staining, it says its pre-washed

3. Do I need to take the carbon out of the filter media?, I have heard and read mixed answers

4. If I add the flora max do I need root tabs or plant food?
Thanks
1. There are substrate calculators out there that would help you determine how much you would need to get a certain depth. Google "substrate calculator"

2. You don't need to wash it if you add it to your tank when its completely empty. I didn't wash some of mine in a tank that already had water in it and the tank got cloudy, I washed the rest and didn't get cloudy at all. You don't have to, but it will only help.

3. You can take the carbon out if you want, or since you have the prefilled pads you can leave it in because its really only effective at what it does for somewhere around 6-8weeks. But if you replace your pads know that the fresh carbon will be removing some of your ferts, that's a waste of money and detrimental to your plants.

4. Because you have heavy root feeders you should still use root tabs and all plants do better with a good fert regimen. Planted substrates don't add to the ferts in your tank, they only hold them in the substrate better so plants can access them better.

Edit: substrate calcs I found all said you'd need around 40lbs to get a depth of 2.5" in your tank. So two of the large bags from petsmart would do. Curious how you were getting 24lbs of it?
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #445
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Khuligirl93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,945
I added flora max to my tank when it was empty, i filled it up and it was a MESS. I would highly recommend rinsing it.
__________________
20 gallon high-tech planted
Khuligirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #446
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

1. There are substrate calculators out there that would help you determine how much you would need to get a certain depth. Google "substrate calculator"

2. You don't need to wash it if you add it to your tank when its completely empty. I didn't wash some of mine in a tank that already had water in it and the tank got cloudy, I washed the rest and didn't get cloudy at all. You don't have to, but it will only help.

3. You can take the carbon out if you want, or since you have the prefilled pads you can leave it in because its really only effective at what it does for somewhere around 6-8weeks. But if you replace your pads know that the fresh carbon will be removing some of your ferts, that's a waste of money and detrimental to your plants.

4. Because you have heavy root feeders you should still use root tabs and all plants do better with a good fert regimen. Planted substrates don't add to the ferts in your tank, they only hold them in the substrate better so plants can access them better.

Edit: substrate calcs I found all said you'd need around 40lbs to get a depth of 2.5" in your tank. So two of the large bags from petsmart would do. Curious how you were getting 24lbs of it?
Thanks for all this help Zimmanski!
I'll add root tabs, and by fert regimen you mean adding plant food right?
I am having anacharis and I heard that liquid co2 will melt them will root tabs or liquid plant food melt them?
Also I got 24 pounds because I went online to petsmart and the black flora max costs 10 dollars for a bag of 12 pounds, so 2 bags is 24 pounds and that's already 20 bucks
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #447
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
I added flora max to my tank when it was empty, i filled it up and it was a MESS. I would highly recommend rinsing it.
Ok thanks ill rinse it well
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #448
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post

Thanks for all this help Zimmanski!
I'll add root tabs, and by fert regimen you mean adding plant food right?
I am having anacharis and I heard that liquid co2 will melt them will root tabs or liquid plant food melt them?
Also I got 24 pounds because I went online to petsmart and the black flora max costs 10 dollars for a bag of 12 pounds, so 2 bags is 24 pounds and that's already 20 bucks
Oh my bad, I read 10lb and 20lb instead of 12.

"Liquid co2" isn't liquid co2, its a carbon supplement, most plants will build up a tolerance with it to the point they won't melt, but you probably won't need it with the plants you've chosen. It can help with algae growth though, which you probably need to diagnose what is causing yours.

Liquid fertilizers and root tabs won't melt plants, all plants need what's in them.

You can start with the 24lbs if you want, but I'm willing to bet your blue gravel will eventually be visible. Whether or not that's an issue with you isn't for us to say
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #449
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok I'll put in 36 pounds in us that better?

Also what liquid food do you recommend?
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #450
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Ok I'll put in 36 pounds in us that better?

Also what liquid food do you recommend?
I would think you'll be much more satisfied with that.

In a smaller tank with less demanding plants like yours seachem's flourish comprehensive would be a good choice, an even better choice would be to buy flourish comp and API leaf zone and alternate the dosings of them but since you're on a budget that may not be feasible. API leaf zone is cheaper than flourish and is a great additive to use in conjunction with flourish but if its one or the other I highly recommend the flourish comprehensive.
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #451
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok thanks ill check those out thanks
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #452
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok guys so today I discovered liveaquaria.com and I changed my stock a bit here are all my fish including the ones I have and still need
1 balloon belly Molly
5 red eye tetras
2 peppered Cory's
4 black kuhli loaches
2 neon tetras
1 rio negro pleco
1 royal farlowella catfish
1 peacock gudgeon
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #453
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Ok guys so today I discovered liveaquaria.com and I changed my stock a bit here are all my fish including the ones I have and still need
1 balloon belly Molly
5 red eye tetras
1 peppered Cory
4 black kuhli loaches
2 neon tetras
1 oto
1 rio negro pleco
1 royal farlowella catfish
1 peacock gudgeon
1 pearl gourami
loach boy here's my two cents on your stocking list: no farlowella catfish, no peacock gudgeon, add 3-4 neon tetras, reduce the number of loaches to 2-3 if possible. 3-4 corys. let go of pearl gourami, they need at least 30gal especially when it mature, more space is needed. peacock gudgeon only take frozen food/live food, i'm not sure if you have the budget for that. you need 3-5otos.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #454
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Glow light tetra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 151
Your Cory would be better off in a group, rather than by himself.
__________________
Glow light tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #455
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by huizheng1988 View Post

loach boy here's my two cents on your stocking list: no farlowella catfish, no peacock gudgeon, add 3-4 neon tetras, reduce the number of loaches to 2-3 if possible. 3-4 corys. let go of pearl gourami, they need at least 30gal especially when it mature, more space is needed. peacock gudgeon only take frozen food/live food, i'm not sure if you have the budget for that. you need 3-5otos.
Yea my mom wants the oto so I guess that's off
I bought 7 neon tetras I only have 2 now I'm giving up on them, I have lost 10 now because if neon tetra disease
The Cory, I'll probably be getting him one more partner
I am prepared to feed the gudgeon frozen bloodworms how do I do that?
I'll find a smaller type of gourami then
I really want the farlowella
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #456
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow light tetra View Post
Your Cory would be better off in a group, rather than by himself.
Yea ill probably get him a partner
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #457
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok so to the list add a peppered Cory and take away the gourami and oto
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #458
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Ok guys so today I discovered liveaquaria.com and I changed my stock a bit here are all my fish including the ones I have and still need
1 balloon belly Molly
5 red eye tetras
2 peppered Cory's
4 black kuhli loaches
2 neon tetras
1 rio negro pleco
1 royal farlowella catfish
1 peacock gudgeon
Here is the list now
__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #459
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Yea my mom wants the oto so I guess that's off
I bought 7 neon tetras I only have 2 now I'm giving up on them, I have lost 10 now because if neon tetra disease
The Cory, I'll probably be getting him one more partner
I am prepared to feed the gudgeon frozen bloodworms how do I do that?
I'll find a smaller type of gourami then
I really want the farlowella
when feeding bloodworms, just some fish tank water and drop a cube of worms in the water to thaw it out. then you net the worms and feed them to the fish.
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #460
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Goldfish loach boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,167
Ok so put them in tank weather, thaw them out got it thanks do I just drop them in the tank and he will find them, or spot feed or what?
Thanks for the info
Also, if I add some RCS, do you think that either the gudgeon or the catfish will eat them?
__________________

__________________
Goldfish loach boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
29 gallon, journal, loach, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« How? | Best temp »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.