The loach's 29 gallon tank journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
your amazn swords are background plants and the java ferns are more of midground. i would first get the substrate you said you were getting and replant those plants accordingly. the amazon swords definitely will grow like wildfire if you do it. for foreground, add some crypts and chain sword.

or you can use rocks around your neighborhood. i find those rocks in Petsmart or any pet store a rip off. go to a nearby forest/river/park or wherever you can find rocks.

+1 on finding rocks if you can. Good summer break activity:) we take the kids on "walks" in the woods but really its a scout for more rocks and driftwood for my tanks lol

I'll see what I can do about the rocksI will go to the river and find some
LOL it's funny how you take the kids to find rocks

Ok guys update!
I am not going to be adding fish anytime soon but I am changing the tank quite a bit
I am keeping the decorations and current plants(three amazon swords and the Anubias nana) in the exact same place. I am adding 10 pounds of flora max in one side and 10 pounds on the other. I want to add anacharis from the side walls running all the way across the back wall I'm also adding two Marino moss ball and one more thing I am adding a piece of mopani driftwood in the middle
How do you guys think the tank is coming up and how do you think it will look thanks
img_2521160_0_4e74eb9303883b42891a8185e2718e71.jpg

img_2521160_1_9ea104e98e5ecd20d5b074d314c36a4f.jpg

img_2521160_2_6b1b30d1c0a91e2c084c8b737f30e153.jpg

Ok guys update!
I am not going to be adding fish anytime soon but I am changing the tank quite a bit
I am keeping the decorations and current plants(three amazon swords and the Anubias nana) in the exact same place. I am adding 10 pounds of flora max in one side and 10 pounds on the other. I want to add anacharis from the side walls running all the way across the back wall I'm also adding two Marino moss ball and one more thing I am adding a piece of mopani driftwood in the middle
How do you guys think the tank is coming up and how do you think it will look thanks
img_2521306_0_4e74eb9303883b42891a8185e2718e71.jpg

img_2521306_1_9ea104e98e5ecd20d5b074d314c36a4f.jpg

img_2521306_2_6b1b30d1c0a91e2c084c8b737f30e153.jpg

if i remember correctly, anacharis isn't for tropical fish tank. it's a cold water plant that will slowly die if you put it in a heated tank.

if i remember correctly, anacharis isn't for tropical fish tank. it's a cold water plant that will slowly die if you put it in a heated tank.
Anarcharis (elodea) is fine for tropical tanks with a temperture range of 60-82F. Its native to north america, and south america so tropical temps would suit it well but can also handle the lower temps of a goldfish tank.

Looks good can't wait to see how it goes. I have anachris and it grows FAST and crazy =) I love it. And at first I only ever had laterite (no ferts) and it grew like a weed so definitely a non fussy plant. It was my first plant lol

Where did you get the mopai? Just curious! About to order some but if you got it at petsmart somehow may just do it that way hehe no waiting.

Looks good can't wait to see how it goes. I have anachris and it grows FAST and crazy =) I love it. And at first I only ever had laterite (no ferts) and it grew like a weed so definitely a non fussy plant. It was my first plant lol

Where did you get the mopai? Just curious! About to order some but if you got it at petsmart somehow may just do it that way hehe no waiting.

He probably bought his from petsmart lol. Petco also sells mopani in both the fish and reptile sections, but they're the same exact thing.

Hah yea I get the mopani from petsmart it's just a square with maybe a little spike sticking out of it lol

Yea it grew a lot in my gold fish tank and it grew in my tropical too, but my crabs destroyed them:/

I know it's a bit of an investment, but if you're going to take out the gravel to put in flora max, have you considered changing the color of your gravel? When I started putting live plants in my community, I switched from blue gravel like yours to a more natural looking light brown.

Attachments

• image-731881307.jpg
    image-731881307.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 93
I know it's a bit of an investment, but if you're going to take out the gravel to put in flora max, have you considered changing the color of your gravel? When I started putting live plants in my community, I switched from blue gravel like yours to a more natural looking light brown.

And now I'm saving up to convert the entire tank to a fully planted aquarium. Next step is changing the gravel to some sort of dirt

Yea now that I'm really thinking about doing all this, I'm considering of taking out the gravel and just filling it in with flora max maybe putting a little bit of sand over it

Local fish store. It's two pieces, the smaller on the right never released any tannins. The other big piece did! So once I figured it out I took it and soaked for like two weeks to get it all out. Still stains my water if I miss a water change. Where do you live?

Man I'm getting the driftwood but its not really nice like that its boring but I need it for my bn pleco
I live in El Paso Texas

Great news guys!

I noticed today a spot of green algae, as I looked around I found at least 10 other small ones! So this means that my tank is thriving! They are going to be more because I am not getting my three Otos and bn pleco in at least three weeks so there will be more
Great news!

Great news guys!

I noticed today a spot of green algae, as I looked around I found at least 10 other small ones! So this means that my tank is thriving! They are going to be more because I am not getting my three Otos and bn pleco in at least three weeks so there will be more
Great news!

Algae can be present in any tank, its not necessarily a sign of a thriving tank. Most likely a sign of an imbalance in ferts and a photoperiod that is too long.

Back
Top Bottom