The Maturing Cycle... because people on gere have funny ideas about it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed it does, simply add gravel to that glass and wait a week. Though your right any dark space that has stuff in it with cycled water is ideal for bact. To live... Its why fluvial works so well

No, I am saying that I have seen people add all the components to a tank like a filter and gravel ect. and not ever get an ammonia spike, even after weeks. That is what I am saying.
I am not sure what you mean by cycled water though.

http://www.pnas.org/content/72/1/136.full.pdf

Heres a long dry article all about it.

Did you read that article? They took Kleb. pneumo, a terrestrial, non-aquatic species of bacteria that is in no way related to the nitrogen cycle, isolated an artificially mutated strain, and supplied it with a rich environment of amnio acids not found in aquariums, and grew it on mineral medium (non-aquatic). It has absolutely no bearing on the matter hand.

Assuming that there were bacteria that behaved as described, they would need a bountiful supply of amino acids, which doesn't happen in new aquariums.

I am going to have to add that the article you linked is absolutely not relevant to this topic. Yeah, there was some ammonia excreted, but those are not aquatic bacteria and they mutated strains of them in order to get their results. Mutated non-aquatic bacteria have no bearing that I can see on this topic at all. Thank you for trying to back up your info with sources, but you need sources that are relevant to the info at hand, and I am sorry to say that one is not.

Did you read that article? They took Kleb. pneumo, a terrestrial, non-aquatic species of bacteria that is in no way related to the nitrogen cycle, isolated an artificially mutated strain, and supplied it with a rich environment of amnio acids not found in aquariums, and grew it on mineral medium (non-aquatic). It has absolutely no bearing on the matter hand.

Assuming that there were bacteria that behaved as described, they would need a bountiful supply of amino acids, which doesn't happen in new aquariums.

How is land bacteria different from aquatic?

They are not the same species. Bacteria are different species, just like animals are. In a broad sense, that is like asking how a fish is different from a butterfly. They are both animals, but very different organisms with very different ways of doing things.

Different species live in different environments. Bacteria are an incredibly diverse group of organisms, and different species have evolved to fill their specific niche.

Additional critique of the article: those bacteria were also grown using sugar-rich mediums, which aren't available in aquariums. No sugar = no energy

Furthermore, some of the bacteria involved in this process are called Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, and Nitrospira.
These bacteria are involved in the aquarium nitrogen cycle with converts ammonia (again, not creates, but converts) into nitrite, and then into nitrate. This is what we have stated, and also, what is expressly stated in the article that you yourself linked earlier.

Back
Top Bottom