The modesty of a 5 1/2 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultratonic1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Happy New Year everyone!!! I'm thinking of starting another tank tank a small on that is 5 1/2 gallons. My stand has a second shelf that allows for this so why not use it. Anyone out there have any suggestions for fish? I know you can't have too many. Guppies? all one sex of course. Tetras? Platies?

you could get a blue crayfish, thats what I got and I am going to put him in a 5 gal once i get it (he is in the 55 for the time being). They are a lot neater than you think. Its fun to watch him climb around and at night they will just scurry everywhere. Every so often i will see him on the tops of my plants acting like he is the king of the tank. A lot more personality than you would think :D

Fish wise...a betta could go in there. I don't know to many fish that can go in that size of a tank. :|

Endlers livebearers or wild-type guppies....or regular and gold white clouds....perhaps pea/dwarf puffers.....or a pair of paradisefish....

I've heard they can be, especially putting 2 male paradise fish together.

White clouds are not livebearers so they are sexed more like danios. Fat ones are usually females, and males are usually brighter.

Out of all the options...i think u should go with the crayfish, however they can be a little pricey. Well worth it, I find them quite facsinating. Maybe the source of my intrest was from when i was 6 and i would go to the creek by my house and fish for them with cheese lol. My vote its for the crayfish! haha :mrgreen:

Can you buy a heater for a tank that small?

I saw a posting for a heater pad for small tanks like this, but lost the link. Anyone know who sells the small heaters?

Good luck stocking your new shelf tank.

thanks I don't have a link but I have seen heaters for small aquariums like this @ wal - mart so I'm sure you won't have a hard time findining one.

Rondory said:
Can you buy a heater for a tank that small?

I saw a posting for a heater pad for small tanks like this, but lost the link. Anyone know who sells the small heaters?

Good luck stocking your new shelf tank.

Sure, the smallest Hagen Thermal, Tronic, and Ebo heaters all fit in a 5½ gallon just fine.

5 gallons really isn't enough for 2 paradise fish...they get almost 3" long as adults, and if you get em as juvies, they are harder to sex.

My personal favorite for a 5gallon is a single male betta, a couple low light plants like anubias nana and java ferns, and maybe 2-3 otocinclus.

malkore said:
5 gallons really isn't enough for 2 paradise fish...they get almost 3" long as adults, and if you get em as juvies, they are harder to sex.

Thats why you buy pairs. ;) Seriously, 5½ gallon tanks are all I use for spawning my paradise...and a 3" paradise is pretty uncommon (unless you count the huge tail)....they do fabulously in them....but, with no other tank mates and at least a few plants.

I have a beautiful betta in a 5.5 gallon with a black mystery snail. He loves having real room to swim.

I have kicked around the idea of a betta but I'm leaning towrd a group of tiny fish. Are sparkle gouramis hardy. I'll read up on that too.

Back
Top Bottom