The new 40g breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So my boyfriend and I are setting up our 7th tank. A 40g breeder for Rams. Since we will be moving our Rams from our 29g and our 14g into this tank once it's set up and cycled, that will leave the 14g empty except for 1 albino cory. I was thinking a couple of Kribs. My boyfriend is thinking the Kribs in the 40 with the Rams and something else in the 14. So here I go with a few questions. Keep in mind it's a 40g breeder. It will be heavily planted, lots of driftwood, black slate and sand as the substrate.

1: Has anyone here ever mixed Kribs and Rams? I know they are Cichlids and are both less agressive than other Cichlids. I have seen references that they will get along, but I was hoping for more feedback.

2: What else would do well in a 14g Hex? There are pics of this tank in my albums. I was tossing around the idea of 2 Angelfish but started thinking of an all "neon" tetra tank. By neon I mean the usual red/blue, also the black neon tetras, glowlite tetras and others along those lines. We have some in our 29 so I'm not sure if I want another tank of them our not.

Ugh, decisions!

I think you could get away with the Rams and Kribs in the 40 breeder....heavily planted especially. I have never kept them together, but I have kept several pairs of Apistos successfully in a 40br...different species, so they didn't all get along all the time.

I wouldn't put Angelfish in the 14g. Yes, its a tall tank, but its only 14g and I'm not a fan of putting them in anything less than 40 gallons...unless its a single one and then no less than a 29g. That's just me though. :) I would do like an interesting school of fish and since there isn't a ton of room in a hex tank, I'd just have 1 school and then have some type of centerpiece fish like a small Gourami. Honey Gouramis are nice and small....and peaceful, for Gouramis. Killifish are cool if you can find them. A pair would go nicely with some type of school....just have to keep the tank covered because they jump.

Back
Top Bottom