The next addition to my tank will be a plec...but which one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been thinking about this sine i got my tank, i have thought about the more colourful types, and the less colourful types. The main factor is the adult size, i cannot have a large pleco, it has to be a dwarf type, i think 5" would be about the largest i could stretch to.

I spoke to someone at the lfs about this, we were talking about the 2 golden nugget plecos he had, but he said they grow to about 8", then he recommended the rubber pleco (pitbull/rubber nose? I dont quite know the proper name).
They have a really nice adult in one of their display tanks, and i think so far this is what im likely to go for.

Is this a good choice? Or what would anybody recommend? Thanks in advance.

I haven't had good luck w/ rubbernose, but that might just be me, I had an agression problem in my tank and haven't tried again since I fixed the problem. I personally like the clown plecos and the bristlenose. My clown is about 4 inches at the moment and hasn't really grown much recently. I think bristlenose will stay under 5-6 inches. Pitbulls are fun and are always out in my tank... they're ~3 inches. Very tiny little guys, but I see them MUCH more than my clown. There are also butterfly plecos, once again, mine didn't last too long, but they're very very cool and if you can find one they're really fun to watch.

Sorry, no, i mean the display rubbernose looks really nice, so i might go for one (a small one - watch it grow!). He said they can keep a tank really clean too. Are there any plecos that are less shy? Both my brothers plecos tend to hide most of the daytime, and come out at night. Are they all this nocturnal?

Cool, thanks bunebop. So rubbernose is not the same thing as pitbull? I thought they were, the bloke confused me. The adult one i saw was a spotted type i think, looks cool, never seen it do much, but its always out, not hiding, its like its sunbathing on the rocks!
My brother has a clown, and a bristlenose, i'd rather get something different, but i wont rule them out. Do you know how big clowns get?

Butterfly plecos....i think the lfs mentioned those. I'll look into that.

They're pleco's, unless you speak in L#### there will be confusion.

I looked at some albino BN pics, they all look, well erm. different..:)

i have to say i am partial to the gold nuggets, but i think wizzard is right i believe u were talking about a bulldog. and the bulldog and rubbernose pleco are the same thing i believe

I have a gold nugget pleco and I adore him. I will warn you that they rarely come out. I also keep a BN pleco, striped raphael catfish, and a clown pleco now. LOL I'm not addicted to plecos! (I think this all started with pics of JC's BN plecos :wink: )

elliott_001 said:
Cool, thanks bunebop. So rubbernose is not the same thing as pitbull? I thought they were, the bloke confused me. The adult one i saw was a spotted type i think, looks cool, never seen it do much, but its always out, not hiding, its like its sunbathing on the rocks!
My brother has a clown, and a bristlenose, i'd rather get something different, but i wont rule them out. Do you know how big clowns get?

hehe, to my knowledge yes they are different. I've had both, so unless they were mislabeled, which I suppose is always a possibility. The rubbernose has a much bigger mouth/sucker thing and is kind of a grey color w/ what looks almost like armor (to me) once they're mature. The pitbulls are much much smaller and are dark brown and mine have kinda yellowy spots if you look at em close enough. I originally had them in a much smaller tank (15 gal) when I got them and they got moved to my 55 when I had to take that tank down. Either way, they're both very cool. One thing I've noticed is that the rubbernose stay on the glass whereas I never see my pitbulls off the decorations, but I can always find at least one of em even though they're so small. Good luck :)

elliott_001 said:

My clown (and i'm pretty sure he's not growning more) is about 5 inches. The butterflys are really really cool if you can get one and it lives. Their whole underside/belly is a sucker instead of just the mouth, so it looks they the entire little guy is stuck to the side haha. I didn't have mine very long so I don't know how they are as far as how often they're out and how active they are or anything.

Like bunebop I to have a clown pleco he is a nifty little bugger the only agression mine has shone is his cave is his cave and all the other fish know it even the one larger than he is.

right, now i know, it's bulldog, not pitbull. At the lfs they said about L no. plecs, am i right in thinking they are harder to care for? And do they all grow large?
I dont think i will be able to get hold of a butterfly pleco somehow, or many other rare ones.
So far i am thinking about a bulldog pleco, or possibly a clown pleco. Another point i need to think about is my plants.....certain plecos will probably destroy all my braodleaved plants!! My brothers bristlenose has taken a liking to amazon swords, didnt take her long to strip the leaves off!! Thanks for all the advice!

Ive decided i will get a bulldog pleco. I visited the lfs today and saw the full grown spotted bulldog in the display tank, its a fantastic fish! I was talking to one of the ladies who works their, she said its one of the only types of pleco that likes to be out in the daytime. They do a good job of cleaning the tank, the display one i saw was in a cichlid tank (55G I think), and it was spotless!
The lfs only had 3 striped bulldogs today, but new stock is in tomorrow so i will go see the new spotted ones too, and then decide which type i want.

There doesn't seem to be much info on them about the net, dont know why!?

Back
Top Bottom