THE NOOB tank 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreySKYS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
sup people just started a new tank and all is well so far :D
the day is just beginning and the tank is starting to warm up
i have done a test already and should probably do one around 3 o'clock
any idea for beginner fish , i don't want to harm any of them
My setup is shows a lot of glass and reflection of the water on the wall at night
i have pictures and will post later

NO FISH YET

SET_UP as of now
STAND
SELF MADE
24 in plug in shop light from HOME depot installed underneath tank facing up
26x13x30 - made out of 2x4's

20 Gallon
AQuEon quiet flow 20
Petco AIRPUMP 62 gph
5 lbs of Purple Aquarium Gravel
lid made out of Plexiglass

First test 1030 am –
ph level 7.2
High range ph level 8.2
Ammonia lv 1.0 ppm
Nitrite lv 0 ppm
Nitrate lv 0 ppm

I'm assuming that you're fishless cycling because you have ammonia in the tank and no fish listed. If that's the case, add more ammonia to get to about 4ppm. It's insurance that your post-cycle bacteria population will be able to handle anything your fish will put out.

I'd think about getting a second filter. Manufacturers generally overrate their filters. I take the rated capacity and cut it in half generally. It's worth it to overfilter.

The air pump really isn't necessary unless you like seeing bubbles in the tank.

When you're done cycling, check out schools of small tetras or rasboras. Cardinals or glo-lites would look good.

What are you using to test your water?

I'm guessing this is also a 20H because of the 24" lights. Is this correct?

How does the tank look lit from underneath? I'd like to see a picture.

update

I did purchase 4 black skirt tetras for my tank and they have been in there for about 16 hours , i have turned the Tv off and started watching the tank to check for any signs of stress. i am glad :p to say that all is well . from the outside at least , they did kind of twitch a little yesterday , these little guys are active under the florescent light and stay close to the bottom , but when i use the other light 13 watt spiral underneath the tank that is more dim , they become 50% more active, and swim closer to the top of the tank , ill be doing the first test of the day in a few hours to check the water levels.

Your fish need some cover or they'll stress out. Add a few plants or some driftwood.

If you're going to cycle with fish, keep a close eye on your water parameters. You're going to need to do at least daily PWCs until you have no discernible ammonia or nitrite levels in the tank.

i ran out of money for more decor and whats is "PWC" and suggested lv for those items . i have the mastery freshwater kit

PWC is the abbreviation for Partial Water Change.

The suggested level for ammonia and nitrites is 0ppm. If you're not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, search here on AA for an explanation. Basically you need bacteria to convert fish waste (ammonia) to nitrites to nitrates to prevent killing your fish. Until you've built up adequate populations of these bacteria, your tanks is "cycling".

You should keep your ammonia levels below 0.25ppm by doing PWCs. Changing 20%-50% of your tank's water volume may be necessary.

ill do a water test now to see the lvs of everything

Sept 2nd – 10am
Ph – 7.6
High ph lv 8.0
Ammonia 0.5 - 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Did half the tank water change
1045am
Ph - lv 7.6
High lv ph 7.4
Ammonia 1.0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

nice call big jim

You might want to consider returning the fish until you can get your tank cycled.

Your pH is within normal ranges, so there's no need to do the high range pH test; however you do need another water change... it's odd that your ammonia wouldn't change after a 50% pwc, but that ammonia needs to be below .5ppm, preferably .25. Do what water changes are necessary to get it there-- always remember to get the temperature as close as possible and add your water conditioner!

What if it's my tap water , will buying fresh distilled water solve the issue ?
I think it's the water !?

Tap water can have ammonia in it. But while you are cycling you should expect there to be ammonia, that's what feeds the good bacteria you are trying to get by cycling a tank. The PWCs are suggested because you already put fish in before cycling. Fish are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. Now that you have fish before the tank was cycled you'll need to do PWCs to keep the ammonia from reaching higher than .25. Prolonged exposure to higher levels will start to affect the fish. Here's the links suggested:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

[URL]http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

[/URL]

Great Job guys thanks for the info and LInks "dragon"
50 % water change last night
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 0 ppm

fish are cool, but i think im going up to a bigger tank now

Back
Top Bottom