The Office Aquarium - Stock/Lighting Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aveldina

Aquarium Advice Regular
Our office has been talking about getting an "office pet" ie an aquarium. Not wanting to see someone show up with a 1 gallon tank and a gold fish, I've dragged my 5.5gal 16" wide tank out of storage (this tank was supposed to be a tiny planted experiment but the space isn't available at home atm) and brought it in to see how it would fit. We don't have space for anything bigger really.

Since tanks are no fun without plants I'm planning to plant the little thing, and am in need of lighting ideas. Seems like 16" wide is a bad size when it comes to finding lighting. There will be some ambient light due to windows, but not enough to grow anything.

Is sand the way to go when starting a new set up for plants? My experience up till now is only with finer gravel.

Finally, as much as I'd be happy with only a planted tank, I know everyone else around here is going to want something that, you know, swims. So, stocking suggestions? I'm thinking open top w/ 1 male Betta, any other suggestions? I am planning to run an A/C 20 on this thing.

Thanks all! :)

There's no reason you can't run a 12" PC light or something over it. Especially if you're running it open top, having a light that's a bit smaller than the tank isn't a big deal since you're not trying to do a high-tech planted tank or anything. Check out catalina aquarium, they have some 12" (and possibly 14") PC lighting for pretty cheap.

As for stocking, not a whole lot you could do in there. Would the folks rather see a single fish (betta) or a small school or small fish to look at?

What about a shrimp tank?

Shrimp tank is a thought. Red cherries seem to be really expensive around this area though. I'm quite happy with a betta but we'll have to see, bettas are so interactive with you they're fun to keep imho.

I'm pretty on the fence about neons, they seem to be so hard to keep. I've come to love my white cloud minnows over a neon any day.

This catalina aquarium lighting looks great, thanks. I'll have to see if they will ship to canada.

You can run their 50/50 bulbs - that would work and lessen the usable light. The actinic in there would also help bring out the colors in whatever you decide to put in the tank.

Oy all of these lamps are proving to be so expensive I'm seriously considering just picking up a compact florescent desk lamp to set over it. Might be low wattage... but would likely work no?

For your 5G, a cheap fixture with a low wattage (less than 10) CFL would be very adequate to grow low-mid light plants. Java Ferns, Anubias, crypts, maybe even some stems. Just make sure it's not too high above it.

you could put any kind of light fixture you want over it just be sure you can get a daylight spectrum bulb for it.
personally i would get the 18w catalina fixture and ask them to put a 50/50 bulb in it. they will usually swap out bulbs for you depending on what type of aquarium you're using it on.

I live in Canada so I'm looking at $50USD + customs + tax at the border + $25 shipping. If it was for my personal tank sure but I don't really want equipment that expensive hanging out at the office. Office coworkers are already complaining about the lack of fish (it's day two, thank god the addition of java moss seems to be creating a quick cycle, there's zero patience around here) so I'm not sure how well this little experiment is going to turn out anyway.

I am already afraid stocking it is going to turn into a nightmare. ie. "Why can't we get the bala shark!?"

I found an overhead lamp available at Canadian tire I think I might try out. Compact Fluorescent Desk Lamp | Canadian Tire
Only 11watts but I'll see what else I can find with a similar design.

Sounds great to me so far! I really LOL'd at your comment:
I am already afraid stocking it is going to turn into a nightmare. ie. "Why can't we get the bala shark!?"

Anyways, as for stocking, I do like the male Guppy idea.

It sounds like a really cool project, Don't give up!
If coworkers start bugging you or complaining on your stocking choices, just take a little time to explain them why certain fish, such as a 16 in Bala Shark, would not be suitable for your little tank.
Anyways, play around with the stocking a bit. If the ADF can't work out (my first choice) I'd go with the Betta plan. Some RCS would look very nice in the Java Moss, but not sure if the Betta would think of them as a snack.
Hopefully I was able to help you out a bit with stocking ideas!

Good luck!!! :)

sorry. i didnt realize you were in canada. 11 watts should be fine for a 5gallon. you just need to make sure you can get a bulb that is the right spectrum of light for the plants.

Alrighty I'll give it a try, maybe post back in awhile and update how it went. Let's see what I can and can't grow in this thing (assuming no office sabotage.)

I think for the office male guppies are a good choice as they aren't the type of fish that spends much of the day hiding or resting, certainly mine are swimming about like crazy things pretty much constantly!

Perhaps a / some Pgymy catfish would be nice if you wanted some bottom dwellers. But that might be pushing stocking a little far!

Back
Top Bottom