The old new 55 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeISright

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys if you read my recent thread you know that my GT has died so i need to start thinking about a new stock. I am open to any suggestions on stocking the 55 gallon as long as there are no discus. I want to hear everyones idea.

All i have currently are:
2- synodontis eupterus (1 was from a friends tank that i was planning to rehome but i got attached to the little guy so i think ill keep him)

Lets hear some ideas!

You could get some rams.....German Blues and the Bolivian Rams are cool looking. You could get a keyhole Cichlid, they aren't very striking, but they are very interesting. Most are very peaceful, and they are smaller (they max out at ≈5 inches)

An Oscar alone would be pushing the limits in a 55.

What about sand with some loaches? Yoyo, Dojo, or Kulhi?

Also a cool pleco, like a snowball or 2 bristlenose?

A jack dempsey and an oscar would be pretty cool.

An Oscar and Jack Dempsey together I believe would be pushing it in a 75 galllon, so it is out of the question in a 55. Those two really should be kept in a 100 gal.

The loaches idea is very cool, just make sure you have a tight fitting lid! I wanted to get some Black Kuhli loaches in my 30, but they could have escaped. They can squeeze through tight spaces.

I have 5 yoyo loaches in my 55. They all have very different and distinct personalities too! I like them also because they are cheaper than some loaches and don't look like eels. Unless you like that then go with the other suggestions.

What do you think about tiger barbs? I have them with my loaches and they are fine. Think about getting 9+ though. I only have 7 and wish I had more.

That is another great idea, if you went with just tiger barbs, you could maybe do 6 regular, 6 green, and 6 albino. That would look quite cool.

I agree that would be very sweet :). Then I would start looking at another species that would do well in a pair. I have polka dot pictus in my tank but there are probably a lot of other suggestions. Just make sure that they have short fins so the tiger barbs aren't tempted

I am into cichlids. And all great ideas! Keep em coming! And i loooooove oscars but i no theyd get to big. Angels maybe?

A pair of angels would be cool too. But the tiger barbs wouldn't work then. But the loaches still would.

Or you could do some Malawi cichlids that would be awesome.

Yes and I believe you could put some rams with the angels and loaches.

And yes, some malawi cichlids would look neat in a 55, although that is the bare minimum tank size for them I believe.

***Just to clarify i meant to put OR instead of AND***

I think a good stock for a 55 would be:
2 angels
2 german blue rams
5 either yoyo or polka dot loaches ( i reccomend polka dot loaches)
10 or so black skirt tetras
1 bristlenose, rubber lip... any smaller type pleco

I am sure you can add some more fish but that is a great starting stock.... and i am also drawing a blank right now.

I have a 55gal cycling now that's going to have:
2 Bolivian rams
2 parrot Cichlid
6 black skirt tetra
6 yoyo loaches
I can't wait to get it set up! I bought 5 rock kits to make plenty of ledges and caves. I think figuring out what fish and decor to get are half the fun!

FishFanatic88 said:
***Just to clarify i meant to put OR instead of AND***

I think a good stock for a 55 would be:
2 angels
2 german blue rams
5 either yoyo or polka dot loaches ( i reccomend polka dot loaches)
10 or so black skirt tetras
1 bristlenose, rubber lip... any smaller type pleco

I am sure you can add some more fish but that is a great starting stock.... and i am also drawing a blank right now.

Sounds cool! Except i guess i could do the 2 synos instead of the yoyos?

Back
Top Bottom