The only stupid question is the one you don't ask???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiram1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok with that said I'll ask this one. Is there a way to test the o2 level in my tank? I have a 55 gal. tank with one air pump rated for a 55 gal. and one air pump rated for a 15 to 30 gal. I've got one of the stone wand things with the suction cups things. One simple air stone under a rock like thing with holes in it. And one air stone block like thing. I'm attaching a couple of photos in case I didn't describe it that well.

Attachments

• 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 63
true.....

by the looks of it it seems you have a hob filter. the hob alone should give plenty of air into the tank. in all of mine i dont use air stones. as long as the fish are swimming around fine it they are fine.

I do have a HOB actually 2 but they aren't quit big enough for my 55 gal. I've ordered a much bigger bio wheel.

The oxygen exchange happens where air and water come into contact. Agitating the water surface allows for more exchange. by air bubbles, HOB filter or a canister filter with a spray bar all work. With only 1 or 2 fish you should not need to add air stones but they do move the water around and this helps with even heating and filtering.

I'm sure there is a way to test oxygen levels in the water. I use the old school method, watch your fish when it's at rest It's breathing should not be labored. There are test kits, IMO they are for more advanced aquarists.

There are O2 test kits .... an eg: Oxygen Test Kit

Although I agree that observing the fish is a good way to monitor If enough O2 is present. Also, in a planted tank, if pearling is present, it means the water is 100% saturated with O2.

Back
Top Bottom