The scariest thing just happened to me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
The scariest thing just happened to me! Okay, I was moving my 10 gal into another part of my living room, so we all know the drill, (unplug everything, move fish ect.) and I had unplugged the filter. When I had it all set up in the new spot, I filled the canister (its an HOB) and plugged it in. The motor was working but the water didn't flow :eek: So after trying and trying, it finally worked! I have no idea what the problem was :lol: Thank god I just ordered a new API Superclean filter, it should be in the mail next week :D :dance: OH, and did I mention that its heavily SNOWING here in Chicago!!! If the filter decided not to work, im stuck in the house :banghead: Meaning I would have to do water changes everyday until my new filter shows up! Anyway, its working now and I cant wait for the new one :)

:fish1: :fish2:
:fish2:

Must have been scary indeed o: Anyways, the worse that could happen would probably be the heater being broken, especially on new years where most stores are closed.

I think that if the filter went out, i would be totally screwed, we are going to get up to 10 inches of snow tomorrow :eek:

Water might not have been getting into the impeller or there is a bit of gunk that held it; did you clean it out before putting it back in the tank, or just move it? I have noticed that when I stop mine for awhile, the accumulated gunk sometimes keeps it from turning.

Once it started, I just left it alone ( I didn't want to cause waves! Pun intended!). I am getting a better filter next week, so I'm just going to see what happens :)

Usually it sounds really bad, but but the motor should be fine. Aquaclears "self prime" but it's hard to listen to the noises that it will make, but it will eventually fill up.

Usually it sounds really bad, but but the motor should be fine. Aquaclears "self prime" but it's hard to listen to the noises that it will make, but it will eventually fill up.

Mine does not always fill up. I wonder if debris around the impeller is the cause?
And a comment on the OP's situation - I have been there - power outage in very cold weather for days. Depending on a lot of factors, it does not always mean the worst. I have been there several times with my 29gal and not lost fishes. Even without power, you can insulate the tank and aerate the water.

Glad you got it up and running, tho, to ease your worries. I am starting to get paranoid about my AquaClear HOB because it is several/many years old now.

Thanks :) I hope it doesn't give up on me yet! It's just a underpowered Aquatech filter, it was time for a new one :)

Back
Top Bottom