The Spotted Raphael Catfish. Any info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have found a few websites on this fish, but wanted to hear some personal experience from anyone who has actually owned one. I basically bought them because they are amazing looking! :D

I owned a striped one. I loved him to bits as he was the first ever catfish i bought however after upgrading him from a 10 gal to a 33 gal with tankmates such as angelfish and bristlenose plecs I found myself with a problem.
Unplanned my brisltenosed catfish began to breed but the fry disappeared, every morning I woke up and did a fry count the numbers were lower and lower with no dead bodys so I began research lol. I found out that they are more active at night and love to eat fry, this is why alot of people keep them in community tanks as it keeps the number of fry down i.e. from all them livebearers lol.

I am/was planning on getting one to try with my puffers as they have such had / tough skin.

Steven is correct....they are nocturnal and have big mouths and bigger appetites, so not putting them in tanks with potential fty or small fish is imperative. That being said, they are some of the most cool cats around, and cannot be beat for a night-time clean-up crew that virtually nothing will bother.....which is why I have about 16 spotteds, 14 striped, 12 chocolates and 8 orange stripes (4 different species that are all pretty similar in size and requirements). :D

They also eat until their stomach is full so it may look like the catfish has bloat but he actually doesn't. That worried me when I first got my spotted catfish- he was like 1.5 inchs long and half his body was a balloon, but I talked to the owner of my lfs and he said it was just from eating a lot.

Also a neat thing- you can hold them in your hand if you turn them upside down (they'll stop wiggling), but not like I recommend doing this... :) O and they have sharp spikes on their bodies....

Out of the water, they often make a croaking-grinding sound, hence one of their common names 'talking catfish'....but you do need to be careful, as those side spines can give you quite a laceration.

Yeah, I have already heard "the noise" several times. And I haven't cut myself, I have felt the spikes, though.
I absolutely love them. They stay pretty well hidden during the day, but when the food shows up they come out to eat. Also when the lights shut off they dont waste any time. 30 secs and they are swimming all over.
Definately a new favorite fish! :mrgreen:

Got that right....with a doradid or two in your tank, you can be certain that and leftover food on the bottom will not be there 10 minutes after the lights go out...a good common name for these chaps would be 'Hoover Cat'.

Back
Top Bottom