The stocking problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatropicalfishguy78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First of all I have two cycled tanks one is a 20 gallon, and the other is a 10 . In the 20, I have an albino cory, 3 black skirt tetras, 2 kuhli loaches and in the 10, 2 guppies. Now the question is which fish can I add or if I need to improve my setup. I want to get a borneo sucker or some cherry shrimp into the 10 and improve my setup in the 20. So any suggestions if I could add, improve, or even move the fish.

In the 20, I would do:
4 Albino Cory Cats
3 Kulhi Loaches
7 Black Skirt Tetras

In the 10, I would do:
2 Male Guppies
However many Cherry Shrimp you want

Borneo Suckers (AKA Chinese Hill Stream Loach) IMO wouldn't be the best fit for the tank. I would add a small school or Ember Tetras instead.

Couldn't agree with you more scottyhorse, but here is my ideas. For the 20gallon... if you wanted to find the cory a new home or just nave one, you could get a German blue ram OR dwarf gourami and add 3 more each of the loach and tetras. For the 10...you could do 6 cherry shrimp, and 6 rasbora. The cherry shrimp will reproduce, so if you have a lot of plants you might have 20 cherry shrimp in a couple months.

Wait wouldn't 2 guppies and 6 rasboras overstock the tank?

IMO you would be pushing it but thats just me. If you have good filtration and keep up on WC's it could work.

The reason I don't recommend Hill Stream loaches is because they like alot of current and cool water. They do best in a specility tank IMO.

To Rivercat: I actually have a thread for what a specialty tank for borneo suckers needs. If you can, please submit some advice.

I've never kept them but a friend did. His tank was set up basically like a stream. Shallow tank 40B if I remember right. Then he added larger sized river pebbles and rocks that had smooth surfaces. No plants that I can remember due to the power head he added at one end of the tank to create a rather strong current just like a stream would have. Cool water, I'm pretty sure he didn't have a heater in the tank. I can't remember how he fed them in the current tho and he's passed now so I can't call him and ask. This is about everything I remember about his tank.

Back
Top Bottom