The tank arrived... What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PESCATORI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings:

I just received an Aquarium today it's 30"X18"X12" and is supposed to hold around 30 Gal. I have one light, a complete cover for the top with cut-outs for the filter and an automatic feeder, some gravel on the bottom and nothing else. So... as you can see, I need a filter system a heater and probably things I know nothing about. Where can I find some literature or forums that will guide me through the beginners process and allow me the best bang for my Bucks?

Don

:cool:

Congratulations on your new aquarium and welcome to AA.

These are two great places to start from this site.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/your-first-tank-what-fish-should-you-get-53163.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Here is some very generic, basic advice just to start out.

Please make sure you cycle the tank completely before adding a single fish. It will save you and the fish a lot of grief.

Besides the filter, a liquid drop test kit such as the master API is a must. Don't buy those test strips, even if your LFS recommends them. They are notorious for inacuracy and inconsistency.

Unless you are on a well, you will probably need a dechlorinator that works on both chlorine and chlorimides.

Avoid other additives and conditioners that claim to buffer ph, add beneficial bacteria or speed your cycle. They are a waste of money.

A decent siphon for water changes will really help out, or if possible, a python.

There are numerous filter options out there, buy the best you can afford. IMHO, you are usually better off buying at least one size up from what the manufacturer recommends for filtration. So instead of buying one recommended for a 30 gal. buy for a 40.

You can also save a lot of money over the long run if you avoid using carbon filter cartridges.

Buy seperate filter media such as filter floss, wool or sponge filters AND with ceramic rings, purigen or other high quality media.

You can even use them in filters that are meant to use carbon cartridges.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it comes along.

My reply 2 u

Hello:

That was some followup and plenty of information to digest. Thank you I appreciate your comments and info. I will check out the links do some reading, scratch my head a few times and take notes. Thank you again. :cool:

Don

Welcome to AA Don! :)

Great advice above. The toughest thing in this hobby sometimes is patience. Keep up the research and formulate a plan and you'll enjoy your tank much more in the long run. Look forward to following your progress.

Back
Top Bottom