The Tetra murders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andjak

Aquarium Advice Activist
Case number :001

Inspector: Gil McFry

Case location: Freshwater 'peaceful' community tank

Residents:

Sailfin Molly m
Molly m x1 fx2
Betta f
Red honey gourami (sex unknown)
Glass catfish (sex unknown)
Neon tetra (school of ten)
Yamato shrimp x5
Victims: 1 neon tetra body received 2 neon tetra missing in action, potentially 1 shrimp. Although suspected moult rather than homicide.

Potential suspects : unknown , shifty behaviour from Molly m and Betta f

Investigation to continue, any public with information that can aid the cause of catching the culprit of this/ these horrendous crimes against aquaria please post your information below

Sturgeon officer : Gil McFry

but on a more serious note any know of what might actually be going Down ?
:p

:lol: very clever

What size residence, Detective? And do you know the water params?

Many fishkeepers have discussed that most bettas are not community fish. They show too much aggression and you really have to have a special betta for it to not try to kill its tankmates.

Bettas and Gouramis typically should not be kept together as they are both anabantoids.

How long has the tank been set up? What was the behavior of the neons prior to death? If they saunter away from the school to be by themselves, that's quite often a sign of neon tetra disease, which is highly contagious.

LyndaB said:
:lol: very clever

What size residence, Detective? And do you know the water params?

Many fishkeepers have discussed that most bettas are not community fish. They show too much aggression and you really have to have a special betta for it to not try to kill its tankmates.

Bettas and Gouramis typically should not be kept together as they are both anabantoids.

How long has the tank been set up? What was the behavior of the neons prior to death? If they saunter away from the school to be by themselves, that's quite often a sign of neon tetra disease, which is highly contagious.

The neons are schooling except one and the tank is a 22 gal or so and has been set up 3 months and all cool :) the Betta is a tiny white female with a skull pattern on her head and is really very sedate if it is neon tetra disease does it only effect tetra or all fish ?

It affects all fish. When a fish dies or is dying, the other fish consume it to keep the bacteria levels in check in their environment. If a fish has neon tetra disease, any fish that consumes a part of it catches the disease and dies. I lost half of my community tank to neons. The only species that wasn't affected were my amano shrimp.

LyndaB said:
It affects all fish. When a fish dies or is dying, the other fish consume it to keep the bacteria levels in check in their environment. If a fish has neon tetra disease, any fish that consumes a part of it catches the disease and dies. I lost half of my community tank to neons. The only species that wasn't affected were my amano shrimp.

Are there any really visible signs it's tetra disease and how to I cure it if it is :s

Visible signs are a white patch of effected muscle which is eaten away by the bacteria of the disease. They will get a white spot then go a little colourless and start swimming odd, then die.

As said there is no known cure do only way is to isolate and euthanise.

Im now worrying myself about this tetra disease lol I don't wanna euthanise the potential infected just in case it's not the tetra disease :s but I agree the gourami is looking pretty shady

When I first noticed NTD in my tank, one of the neons isolated himself from the school. It's like he was trying to hide from every fish in the tank. I also noticed that my til then very peaceful black moscow guppies were all over him, pecking at him and annoying him. All it took was him dying, the other fish consume him, thus spreading the disease. I ended up having to cull many fish from this tank that I felt were acting "off" and in the end, I lost more than half of my community.

LyndaB said:
When I first noticed NTD in my tank, one of the neons isolated himself from the school. It's like he was trying to hide from every fish in the tank. I also noticed that my til then very peaceful black moscow guppies were all over him, pecking at him and annoying him. All it took was him dying, the other fish consume him, thus spreading the disease. I ended up having to cull many fish from this tank that I felt were acting "off" and in the end, I lost more than half of my community.

The neon that's rolling out on his own doesn't seem to be pestered or pecked at by anything he joins the school then leaves on his own then joins the school again ? Not showing any of the potential bumps on his body what do you all think should I just cull the one maybe or risk it and what are the symptoms in normal fish like non schooling fish as if the one that died has already been eaten when I found him and I don't know who cleaned the bones

Anyone know how common NTD is like the Likly hood of a neon dying from NTD and not a dying from another random cause or something :s

I'm sure there are a ton of reasons why fish die, including neons.

Just wanted to add that I never saw external symptoms of any kind on any of my fish that died.

To be honest I don't think it's NTD. Usually people THINK it's NTD, when in reality it's just weak neon strains due to inbreeding. I have had more than my fair share of dead neon tetras, and usually I'd blame it one NTD, until I realized that there is no way they're getting NTD when parameters are fine and I am doing PWC every week.

However, if it's NTD, it'll probably die very soon. NTD affects most tetras, as well as some barbs and danios. There is no treatable cure for NTD, the only thing out there is doing PWC and hoping for the best. The thing to look for is them swimming sprial or upside down. That's how mine went.

Also, be careful of the betta and dwarf gourami. IME it has worked out, however that is the exception rather than the rule.

bruinsbro1997 said:
To be honest I don't think it's NTD. Usually people THINK it's NTD, when in reality it's just weak neon strains due to inbreeding. I have had more than my fair share of dead neon tetras, and usually I'd blame it one NTD, until I realized that there is no way they're getting NTD when parameters are fine and I am doing PWC every week.

However, if it's NTD, it'll probably die very soon. NTD affects most tetras, as well as some barbs and danios. There is no treatable cure for NTD, the only thing out there is doing PWC and hoping for the best. The thing to look for is them swimming sprial or upside down. That's how mine went.

Also, be careful of the betta and dwarf gourami. IME it has worked out, however that is the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks dude I'll keep an eye out on my crew the gourami and the Betta don't even acknowledge each other it's a lil odd but not had any probs with them but now I know I might transfer the Betta into my other new tank :)

Btw everyone thanks for the speedy responses I love the fact that everyone one on here contributes :D

I would be surprised if a betta or gourami killed neons. I've had so many small tetras with those fish over the years and never had a problem. Not saying it's not possible..but I find it unlikely. How long have you had these neons and where did you purchase them? It may have been something as simple as poor stock.

siva said:
I would be surprised if a betta or gourami killed neons. I've had so many small tetras with those fish over the years and never had a problem. Not saying it's not possible..but I find it unlikely. How long have you had these neons and where did you purchase them? It may have been something as simple as poor stock.

I got them at the lfs (pets at home ) and tr gourami and the Betta are both so small I can't see them doing it. But the gourami if either I think any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom