TheNewKids' Tank Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how are things going with the new set up and all your fry? I'm sure they are keeping you busy!
They definitely, we just haven't had the time of late to keep up with daily water changes and what not.

I believe the tank is beginning to cycle - we've lost around 6 fry which we found dead against the filter. All the adults are alive and well they seem to be happily breeding!

For those interested, we've yet to find any more dead fry against the filter, so hopefully the more frequent water changes of late have corrected that issue!

We went past the LFS today and picked up some Hikari First Bites, they seem to like it.

Also picked up:
2 x electric blue ram
4 x guppies (3x females, 1x male)

We completely fell in love with the rams, and brought them home - research suggests that water conditions and temperature isn't exactly compatible between guppies, platys and rams - but we'll do our best to keep them alive and well.

We've moved the temperature to 26 degrees celcius, but might move it to 28 tomorrow (we understand that guppies and platies will reproduce at a greater rate at higher temps, but the rams need warmer water to do well).

Anyone got any ideas temperature wise?

We've put the tank up to 26 degrees, will the guppies and platies fair well in a 28 degree tank? Our heater only goes up by 2s -.-

We've put the tank up to 26 degrees, will the guppies and platies fair well in a 28 degree tank? Our heater only goes up by 2s -.-

I had a problem and my temp gauge was showing 28 and I had guppies, as long as it is a steady increase I'd say they would be fine, make sure when you do a WC the temperature is as close to the tank temp as you can get it (I found since I don't have a heater to warm my water before the PWC that sitting the buckets (mine hold 19L each) in the bathtub with hot water warms it up nicely) I was told adding water from the hot tap wasn't good for fish not sure how true it is but I'm happy doing it my way :)

A few degrees off of their recommended temperature isn't going to hurt anything.

I can understand why people would say that using hot water in your tank isn't a good idea but many many people (myself included) fill up their tank straight from the tap without any issues.

I had a problem and my temp gauge was showing 28 and I had guppies, as long as it is a steady increase I'd say they would be fine, make sure when you do a WC the temperature is as close to the tank temp as you can get it (I found since I don't have a heater to warm my water before the PWC that sitting the buckets (mine hold 19L each) in the bathtub with hot water warms it up nicely) I was told adding water from the hot tap wasn't good for fish not sure how true it is but I'm happy doing it my way :)
I'm just planning on bumping it from 26 to 28.

We typically do the water changes by hand (testing the temp that is) but try to get it as close to possible - well aware of 'shocking' them with cold water :) - we just do medium temp from the tap and de-chlorinate before adding.
A few degrees off of their recommended temperature isn't going to hurt anything.

I can understand why people would say that using hot water in your tank isn't a good idea but many many people (myself included) fill up their tank straight from the tap without any issues.
So would bumping it to 28 degrees Celsius be okay? The ram are pretty temp sensistive, and from what I understand platies and especially guppies aren't?

Also, with the fry in your tank it is good to note that a higher temperature will speed up their growth and metabolism yet shorten their life span by a small amount.

Also, with the fry in your tank it is good to note that a higher temperature will speed up their growth and metabolism yet shorten their life span by a small amount.
Yeah, we've got that around 26 degrees celcius, they seem to be coming along nicelt :)

We've currently got a guppy who should go into labour soon - more fry soon!

I fill up from the cold tap but since it can get really cold over here in the UK sometimes the cold water is around 16 degrees at times so I have to warm the water quite a lot before I can dump it in the tank

Back
Top Bottom