Theoretical Stocking list for 12 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shubunkin01

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a preliminary list for a tank I MIGHT get at Christmas :D . It would be my first Tropical tank, so would these fish be OK? It would be a 12 gallon planted tank.

3 Guppies (poecilia reticulata)
2 Peppered Corydoras (Corydoras paleatus)
1 Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta Splendens)
3 Platys (Xiphoporus maculatus)

Would these fish be OK together? Not sure if the Siamese's fins would get nipped, but I just really love their flowing fins. The catfish are just cool, and the platys and Guppies are really colourful. So, would these be Ok for a novice?

Thanks
Shubunkin01

Bettas and guppies generally don't mix. The betta may see the guppies as another betta and attack them. Platies and a betta are fine.
Also, cories do best in larger groups - I would say 3 minimum.
HTH

That's a shame, cos I really love fighters...I prefer Guppies though! :D
With the Cories, should I get a male and 2 females? Would 2 males fight?
Does it look like I'll be overstocked at all? Finally, would any of these species dig up plants (ie the cories?)

Thanks again
Shubunkin01

Sexes doesn't matter for the cories. Very hard to tell as well. I don't think they are capable of fighting.

cories would be fine in a planted tank, IMO they do better with real plants (most fish do i think)

I suggest looking at a different type of cory. Peppered cories get 3+ inches, which is a bit large for a 12g. Check out Panda, Bandit (c. metae), Skunk, or C. trilineatus (3-line) cories. They stay 2 inches, so would be a better fit. Also, you should get atleast 6 cories. The guppies and platies should eat flakes and the cories will eat sinking pellets. Mine also like algae wafers.

I lreally ike the panda cories, but are they quite a rare fish? I've haven't seen them in my lfs. Are there any UK based online fish sellers who hight stock them? Will they be the same as a peppered cory in temperament, feeding habits etc?

Thanks
Shubunkin01

I lreally ike the panda cories, but are they quite a rare fish?
They can be rare in some areas. It varies though.

Will they be the same as a peppered cory in temperament, feeding habits etc?
Yep, exactly the same. They can be a little more sensitive than the peppered cories, so be sure to add them to a cycled tank (if you can find them). They aren't quite as forgiving as other cories when it comes to water quality. But other than that, they are just like the others.

Cool, i prefer the Panda Cories to the Peppered ones. Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'll be saving up for Christmas then... :wink:

Thanks again!
Shubunkin01

Back
Top Bottom