There's something growing in my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LtDean816

Aquarium Advice Newbie
... and I've no idea what it is. This is my first post here, as as I read through some of the threads I'm realizing just how little I know about this hobby I've gotten myself into. So, please forgive my ignorance if the answer to my question is so blatantly obvious a blind man could see it.

There is a transparent jelly-like substance growing in my tank (180 liters). It appears to have 'bubbles' or perhaps air pockets (or something) in it. It is all over the place. It doesn't seem to bother the fish (a hand full of tetras and a beautiful six inch sail fin pleco). There is no green or brown algae in the tank, and nothing else seems out of place except for this invasion of jelly-like things. :?

Part of my problem is I'm living in Germany and I don't yet speak the language - so its not so easy to bebop down to the local fish farm and get answers to my questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you can share about my mystery life form.

Dan

Does it appear in one spot one day and gone the next,only to re-appear in another part of the tank?What color is it?Do any of the fish seem to eat it?A lot of questions I know.A pic would be a great help. :)

Hmmmm.....the invasion of the 'jelly-like things' syndrome. Do you, by any chance, have snails in your aquarium? Snail eggs are often surrounded by a clear, transparent 'jelly-like' stuff. The eggs themselves could resemble the 'bubbles' you mention.

What color is this jelly-like invader??

Snails! That just may be it...

Ahh. :idea: Snails! I've been exorcising my tanks of those critters but they are quite prolific. Perhaps that is what it is. Sadly , I don't have any photos yet. Thanks to all for you help

Oooh snails! I was so excited when I first got one. Months later I found eggs, and one of my tanks is swamped by them now! I'm trying to exorcise my tank of them too.

Good luck man!

Yup, good ole snails. The jelly is hard too so it isn't easy to get rid of. You can scrap it off with a razor blade but make sure to catch it or it will just fal into the rocks and might still hatch. Sounds like you might be feeding a bit too much if there is that much. Try cutting back on the feeding and doing some extra water changes. Snails tend to breed in large amounts if food is available IME.

I have those in current blind-spot times to time. not sure what are those.

A clown loach will clean them up real quick if you want to try a natural way to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom